Search the forum,

Discuss Steam Shower Construction - UK and German requirements for residential and commercial in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JFRWhipple

Good Day men.

I was in a product training class the other day here in Vancouver, BC Canada and was told that in Germany the regular Kerdi we work with here in Canada and the United States is not approved for steam showers and that a different Kerdi is required for steam showers. Kerdi D or something like that.

Can anyone confirm this for me?

Does anyone know of a good resource where I can look up the current steam shower requirements?

I find it odd that a German company makes a product sold for steam showers in Canada that is not even acceptable in the country of origin. Is the water and steam vapour wetter in Germany? :smilewinkgrin:

My goto steam shower build here in Vancouver this past year has been Noble Company's Noble TS. It is a 30mil sheet membrane and very easy to work with. Unlike Kerdi here in Canada you can use modified thinsets to both install the membrane and tile over top.

What is the top steam shower membrane in the UK? Germany?

Thanks for the input men.

D

DHTiling

Re: Steam Shower Construction - UK and German requirements for residential and commer

Kerdi D..?

Not one i have heard of John..

We seem to get conflicting products from Schluter.uk to Schluter.com ... Same as we do not get Ditra extra.. the thicker version.??

J

JFRWhipple

Re: Steam Shower Construction - UK and German requirements for residential and commer

Kerdi D..?

Not one i have heard of John..

We seem to get conflicting products from Schluter.uk to Schluter.com ... Same as we do not get Ditra extra.. the thicker version.??

Thanks Dave.

Is there a thicker version of Kerdi available to you?

Is Kerdi acceptable in a steam shower build in the UK?

Thanks

Did you know Schluter is on Face Book?

Germany Steam Shower Requirements | Facebook

D

DHTiling

To tell the truth John , i have not spc'd Kerdi for steam rooms.. but with it being totally impervious to water, what are schluter.com's reasons for it not being suitable..?

J

JFRWhipple

I use Noble TS here in Canada and it has a Perm Rating of .05 with a Vapour test done at 100 degrees f and 100 percent humidity the Kerdi we get is rated at .75 perms and the test they did was only at 70 degrees f and 70 percent humidity (or so I'm told).

I believe the European or German standard is .15 perms with the 100 degree f 100 percent humidity testing methods.

An article from Wedi in our North American Tile Letter magazine has got me fired up to find out the best system for steam showers. We are installing a lot of steamers this past couple years and with our aging population I suspect this figure to grow and grow...

...what are schluter.com's reasons for it not being suitable..?
This is not information provided by Schluter. Schluter posts a Perm rating but does not advertise the German requirements anywhere I can find.

JW

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

I think i might get that tile letter.. you got a link john plz..?

D

DHTiling

Much Feedback on the JB forum John about this.?

J

JFRWhipple

Dave I don't spend any time on the John Bridge Forum. I find much of the advice there deviates from the outline procedures from Schluter and most of the top posters seem to be long since retired and out of date. I believe the forum to be more of Schluter marketing site than anything.

If you spend anytime there you will see that a core group of 20 will turn almost every build question into a Kerdi project. A bit of a joke really.

There is more varied opinions on Contractor Talk. A much better forum for advice I find.

I think JB sold out years ago and I think the old timer with the owls CX runs the company now.

JW

Reply to Steam Shower Construction - UK and German requirements for residential and commercial in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen