Currently reading:
Self Employed Tax Returns

Discuss Self Employed Tax Returns in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mark2000

I was working labouring for a builder as self employed, but to be honest didnt have a great undestanding. I was getting taxed 20% a week but my boss was paying my tax for me. I have unregistered as beign self employed and couple of weeks ago i had all the tax returns information sent to me. But i dont know exactly how much i earnt and how much tax i paid so well and truly stuck. But every so often my boss used to give me a print out which was off the hm revenue site i think which would so how much tax i had paid etc, but was only given 2 or 3 of these in the space of 6months. So is there any way that the tax office can tell me how much tax i paid n how much i earnt, even though i have unregistered as beign self employed. If any one can help or give advise it would be greatly appreciated as at the moment i just looking at it as lost money due to not being very clued up about it and not looking in to things a bit more.

G

grumpygrouter

I was working labouring for a builder as self employed, but to be honest didnt have a great undestanding. I was getting taxed 20% a week but my boss was paying my tax for me. I have unregistered as beign self employed and couple of weeks ago i had all the tax returns information sent to me. But i dont know exactly how much i earnt and how much tax i paid so well and truly stuck. But every so often my boss used to give me a print out which was off the hm revenue site i think which would so how much tax i had paid etc, but was only given 2 or 3 of these in the space of 6months. So is there any way that the tax office can tell me how much tax i paid n how much i earnt, even though i have unregistered as beign self employed. If any one can help or give advise it would be greatly appreciated as at the moment i just looking at it as lost money due to not being very clued up about it and not looking in to things a bit more.
Hi mark, I assume as you were self employed that you were registered as a sub-contractor with the Revenue? As such, and this seems to be bourne out by the fact that your builder deducted 20% tax before he paid you, you should have received by law, a "certificate of deduction" every month from the contractor, assuming he paid you every month of course. This 20% will (should) have been submitted to the Revenue every month, again by law.

You must have been giving the builder an invoice for your work so he knew how much to deduct from the payment. This is how you work out your income. You did submit invoices didn't you?

M

Mark2000

Nah i didnt submit invoices. As i said i didnt have a great understanding of it. My boss did pay all my tax for me and each week did give me a simple recipt of how much i was paid and how much tax i was deducted but me not beign organized lost them when moving room. As i said i did recieve a print out off the net from HM Revenue website i guess every now an then saying how much i earnt n how much tax i paid. So is there anyway that i could contact HM Revenue and they could tell me how much i earnt and how much tax i paid. Or im guessing that i have lost anychance of getting any tax back.

G

grumpygrouter

Mark, if the builder paid over the tax to the Revenue, they will have a note of what they received. However, what was deducted doesn't necessarily tie in with what you were paid. Did you buy any materials or was it all just labour? Also, even though you were "Self Employed" did you do work for other "customers"? If not, HM Revenue can deem that you were actually "employed" by the builder and as such were entitled to full employee benefits such as statutory holidays, sick pay etc. and, more of interest to them, that the builder deducted and paid over the correct national insurance contributions!

There is potential to open a can of worms here for the builder! Finally, potentially, you can also be deemed to have broken the law by not "keeping adequate books and records" of your business transaction. This is unlikely however, and if you speak with the your local revenue office I am sure they will be very helpful.

Reply to Self Employed Tax Returns in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.