Currently reading:
SBR Any good before tiling??

Discuss SBR Any good before tiling?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Hi and welcome.

PVA is an absolute no no under any circumstances.

As for SBR, depends what your substrate is. SBR is more for mortors, cements, plaster i.e a solid brick built wall construction.
However, if you were tiling on plasterboard and wanted a primer you would use APD or BAL's standard primer. (I presume by SBR you're refering to BAL SBR?)

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

thanks mate,just heard about it but never used it.Is it the same application as PVA,as applying by brush and waiting until it goes tacky before laying on the tiles?
forget the PVA, completely ,use SBR as per the makers instructions, and use tile primers where recommended by adhesive maker recommendations and in the correct dilutions as per makers directions :thumbsup:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
forget the PVA, completely ,use SBR as per the makers instructions, and use tile primers where recommended by adhesive maker recommendations and in the correct dilutions as per makers directions :thumbsup:

I.E Do exactly as it says on the tin, bottle, packet etc.

As like some others have asked. Where exactly did you do this tiling course that advised you to use PVA? Without going into too much detail PVA is a no because it never "sets" so to speak. If you PVA a wall, wait for it to dry, dampen your finger and touch it the PVA coat become ssticky right? What's basically happening is the moisture on your finger is re-activating the PVA. It never dries solid on the wall or soaks completely into it.
Soon as you put wet adhesive on the wall the same thing will happen. So effectively your fixing tiles to a floating coat of PVA and it's not bonding to the wall itself.

Hope that makes sense. I could go into detail etc but in a nutshell, that's it. Use the correct products for the job and you won't go far wrong. PVA is basically a glue and not a primer.

G

Gazzer

Hi,im quite new to this site.I did register last week but forgot me password soo sorry if i did'nt reply to anyone who went to give me advice on this question about SBR.I've just finished a tiling course and we've used the old fashioned PVA on plaster background before we tiled but heard that SBR is better and was wondering if it is and why soo,thanks:smilewinkgrin:

Here is all you need to know about PVA v Primer http://www.tilersforums.com/tile-adhesive-grout-substrate-preparation/2511-p-v-versus-primers.html

Reply to SBR Any good before tiling?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.