Search the forum,

Discuss sanding travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

Hi Kev, I have done this before using a polishing disk on a hand grinder after a tiler made a right pigs ear of a job last year. You can slowly work an area down using plenty of water not to burn the stone. Then you might need to use a colour enhancing sealer to bring the colours back to the tile.

I wish it was as simple as that..:lol:...

You need to use a fair coarse grit pad( 50/60) first to remove the bulk of the lipping and then you go up the grits to get back the required finish of either honed or polished..

You also have to work back into the field tiles to blend back..so not as simple as just blasting over with a sander and colour enriching ..

P

peckers

Is it possible to sand a lip off a honed travertine tile, looked at a job this evening and while i was there the lady asked if i could do anything about a few lipping tiles on a kitchen floor, if i can sand them then what do i use and how?
You need to get a pro in if you are trying to remove lippage, you could cause more damage by not having the experience and right equipment :thumbsup:

T

Terry Cottar

There is only one correct way and thats with a Grinder fitted with a Planetario head. Start with whichever Sintered diamond is required according to the depth of the lippage and then bring it back through the grits. Even we usually have to do the whole floor to blend it. So to try and do a job like that with a hand machine is very difficult to say the least.

tel

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to sanding travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Have you ever worked for a National Tile Supplier or even just smaller big chain tile suppliers? I'll tell you a funny story about how I got a job with Topps Tiles Newcastle and got top sales...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The homeowner of the property I'm working on has just come to me and asked if anything can be done about...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully screwed in. The Tiler laid my 5mm hex mosaic tiles on a 2mm bed, so obvs wasn't going to drain. I took...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.