Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Restoring terracotta pavers in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

billybuntus

Hi chaps,

Just moved into a new house and to say the floor has been abused would be an understatement.

It looks as if someone went to a lot of effort and expense to lay them then simply didn't bother to clean them again.

Up until now I've used LTP power stripper (1:4 dose, 3 applications) which is brought them back to a pretty good standard although now the grout looks quite manky.

I plan to strip any sealant with LTP solvex then power stripper again (1:12 dose) to lift any solvex then thoroughly wash down and seal with LTP Colour Intensifier and Stainblock.

My question is, what would you recommend I do with the grout to clean it prior to sealing? The power stripper has lifted the dirt but it is still quite 'off' looking.

On the right is the 'before' and on the left is after cleaning with Power stripper. It really is good stuff. I spent a good morning trying to clean the tiles up with stardrops and a scrubbing brush which didn't touch it but power stripper lifted the dirt straight off (with a good amount of scrubbing with a hard brush).

(Thats george in the picture who is chief supervisor)

CIMG7643.jpg

CIMG7644.jpg

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Solvex and power stripper are used to dissolve coatings from varnishes to boiled linseed oils.. I find grimex better for grout cleaning but what ever was used on the sealing of that terracotta could have caused the grout darkening.. but at least worth a try before your either remove the grout or re-colour it.

B

billybuntus

Do you think its worth using the solvex after power stripper ( I've already bought it)

D

DHTiling

Judging by the way the water still sits on the surface and some is soaking in the cleaner has worked to a degree.. If the power stripper has nor removed surface sealer then unless it was a lot thicker a product then i doubt Solvex will do any more to that floor... The grout is still either dirty on the surface grain or it will deeply ingrained and night need to be removed,, quite hard to say without actually seeing it close up at face value..

Try use a scotch pad and rub the grout joints and see if this helps.. But be careful with the solvex if you do use it, as it will strip the paint on the backmoulds. etc..:):)

B

billybuntus

what size are they? Spanish hand made nice tile

Hello,

They are 14 inches x 8.5 inches.

I've found a match for them at a tile shop on portrack lane stockton (independant large shop). Couldn't believe my luck as the major chains couldn't get hold of them. They are £70 sq/m at present.

B

billybuntus

Typical, I've went and bought the solvex and opened it. Never mind.

The surface of them is very matt looking (doesn't look like there sealed although obviously something must have soaked into the tile. I say this as its taken between 7 and 9 coats of the LTP sealer on a couple of tiles I've just bought to carry out the repairs It'll cost me a fortune in sealer if these soak it up like the new ones have!

Judging by the way the water still sits on the surface and some is soaking in the cleaner has worked to a degree.. If the power stripper has nor removed surface sealer then unless it was a lot thicker a product then i doubt Solvex will do any more to that floor... The grout is still either dirty on the surface grain or it will deeply ingrained and night need to be removed,, quite hard to say without actually seeing it close up at face value..

Try use a scotch pad and rub the grout joints and see if this helps.. But be careful with the solvex if you do use it, as it will strip the paint on the backmoulds. etc..:):)

D

DHTiling

Discount tiles then i take it..:)

It will take about 7 coats etc as they are so absorbent..

B

billybuntus

Discount tiles then i take it..:)

It will take about 7 coats etc as they are so absorbent..

Very possibly :)

I'm still scrubbing :-(

Scotch pads seem to be bringing the grout round but some of the stuff on the tiles is torture to get off. One of the main 'pathways' through the kitchen is filthy, I'm on my third go of power stripper at 1:2 ratio! The solvex actually came in very handy when trying to lift what I can only imagine must be fat/oil from under cooker on the tiles that the power stripper couldn't touch.

P

Perry

Would they have been sealed with boiled linseed oil as most terracottas were laid a few years ago then waxed it never worked IMO but most were

Reply to Restoring terracotta pavers in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks