Search the forum,

Discuss Replace Travertine border and reseal ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

scorpy

Hiya people,
Great forum you have here and if I am in the wrong section, well many apologies as I am a newbie..lol
Just wondering if anyone can throw some light on my little tiling job. Many thanks in advance for an comments made, much appreciated.
I am just about to re grout a large shower unit in an extension that I have had damp problems with. I have had mold growing in the grout for a while now thought it was time to sort it out.
After talking to our friends in Topps Tiles, I have realised that the old grout I used was not up to the job and the shower room needed to be kept drier. I have now bought a large dehumidifier as this seems to be the only way to keep the room dry.
Anyhows, I am now in a position to re grout the shower unit. I have boughta dremel tile grout remover and have bought some bal microban grout which seems pretty good as I have already used this on the floor of the bathroom.
What I would like to know is if it is worth regrouting a small strip/ border of Travertine tiles I have running through the shower unit?
It seems like a lot of messing around for the sake of a few square feet of these little tiles, when I could just as easily remove/renew them and regrout with the BaL?
They have been protected with Moeller impregnator but I think the cheap grout has cause the mildew on the tiles.?
Also, could you suggest a good brand of protector/impregnator for the grout and small strip of Travertine tiles?
The chap in Topps Tiles recommended their own brand( well, I guess he would..lol )
The stuff is not cheap and only comes in large sizes.
The moeller stuff I have already used is supposed to be good stuff but the mould came through on that so I am at a loss to know what the best brand would be or if it would be o.k. to use the Moeller stuff again but with the new ball grout?
Can anyone throw any light of removal of the tile border and brands of tile protector/sealer /impregnator?
Many thanks again for any comments made.
from a south wales newbie

D

DHTiling

Hi..

This is your choice really , if you think it is worthwhile removing the border then do so, but beware it might damage the substrate doing so..

As for a sealer then, LTP do an aerosol one and it is great for renovation jobs like this and you also seal all the grout once renewed..

p_grout_tile_protector_aerosol.jpg

LTP Grout & Tile Protector

Description: A colourless barrier that helps to protect porous wall and floor grout joints from penetration by water,dirt,oil,grease and limescale, making treated surfaces easier to keep clean. Ideal for use in wet rooms and shower enclosures. Used as a top coat this product is an easy way to further protect natural stone and all other types of masonry surface.

Tips:

Technical Data Sheet (PDF)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

scorpy

Hi..

This is your choice really , if you think it is worthwhile removing the border then do so, but beware it might damage the substrate doing so..

As for a sealer then, LTP do an aerosol one and it is great for renovation jobs like this and you also seal all the grout once renewed..

p_grout_tile_protector_aerosol.jpg

LTP Grout & Tile Protector

Description: A colourless barrier that helps to protect porous wall and floor grout joints from penetration by water,dirt,oil,grease and limescale, making treated surfaces easier to keep clean. Ideal for use in wet rooms and shower enclosures. Used as a top coat this product is an easy way to further protect natural stone and all other types of masonry surface.

Tips:

Technical Data Sheet (PDF)

Thanks for that info Dave, I shall get some of that..

Last edited by a moderator:
S

scorpy

Thanks for the input Dave,.
I was just wondering if this LTP protector is best used on top of a Stone imprgnator /protector. Show I give my Travertine stone border another coat of protector/impregnator before using the LTP? Or is the LTP sufficient to protect stone and grout.?

Many thanks in advance for any advice given

D

DHTiling

For what you are using it for it is perfect.. it is a stone sealer and grout sealer..all in one...

You will get this in any Tile giant store or direct online from LTP.

S

Scott

Do you have any other form of extraction in the room? If you have an extractor fan with a timer you could change these for a 'humidistat' version these work on the humidity on the room and will only turn off once the set level is reached Its all too common for a fan to be installed but only runs for a couple of minuts which is never enough. I also dont close the shower cubicle door when im finished as the damp air gets caught inside.

Reply to Replace Travertine border and reseal ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen