Currently reading:
Pricing for mitre cuts

Discuss Pricing for mitre cuts in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

trevortine

Hi all, just in middle of pricing job for national museum toilet refurb, 400m2 all in, thing is amongst that is approx 114 linear meters of mitre joints, no trim allowed whatsoever. Would any of the contractors on here price extra for this or would you include in your m2 rate. I know things are tight at the moment and their are 5 contractors in for this work. Its a 200k refurb so funds are available but everyone will be desparate to win the job. I make it in excess of 600 mitre cuts and feel their should be additional charges. Tiles are a mixture of marble and porcelain, any thoughts appreciated.

T

Time's Ran Out

As per Jay - I'd include it in my sq mt price - which I would still be competitive with if I want the work, and make note 'to include mitred edges'!
If you have to show a price for the mitres as a seperate item - reduce the sq mt rate accordingly.
With so much competition you'll have to be keen.
If your talking 600 tiles to mitre that is a minimum of 3 days work ( based on 1 mitre=2 minutes ie 20hours + set up)

T

Time's Ran Out

i would say thats a little bit under estimating the time if you have mitre to porcelain 2 minutes 600 run more like 5 mins if your lucky

The job is 114 linear metres of mitres - 600No.pieces of tile,
We are not privvy to the size of each tile but I have assumed that each piece is approx 40mm. (114x2 sides divided by 600pieces)
I would conclude that 2mins would be OK for mitring 40mm of tile edge!
But I may be unlucky and get the job and find I've underestimated - Oh its not my job!

T

trevortine

Cheers for all your replies guys, after much thought I put in a linear rate as well as m2 rate. Reason I done this is because it was marked as "extra over" in the tender. We should either find out this week or if not the start of year. If I'm succsessful I shall be looking to sub some work out to another tiler in the central belt, would be good to pass on work in this climate and would also help me out as there's a few bathrooms on the go for start of year. Fingers crossed!

Reply to Pricing for mitre cuts in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.