Search the forum,

Discuss Poll..do You Alter Doors, Plinths And Architrave? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

On one

I normally do doors and plinths as a matter of course(but don't specify it)
But today I made an exception because.......the customer thought because I had 2 sheets of Hardie leftover from overboarding the bathroom floor,they were HIS!
The result........''sorry I don't cut the bottom of bathroom doors''

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
Just occasionally i do a floor on a particular site where the agent has all the skirting and arkis on and glossed. Out comes the multimaster,bit of a pain as the price is the same as other sitework. Its rare though, so i just bite the bullet. One of the other tilers just gets his crowbar out lol and rips it all off.

Diggy

O

Old Mod

Can't you lot cut round an architrive exactly. ......what make a fantastic tiler imo......:)

Don't make sense to cut around an architrave tho Andy does it!

It's so much quicker undercutting with a multi tool, less room for error cos you're left with a straight forward L cut and much less chance of making a mistake whilst cutting your fancy shape.
Cutting around an architrave isn't difficult, just unnecessary I think.
I only occasionally have to cut doors (1 this yr) and cutting plinths is almost unheard of for me (0 this year) but if I have to, I have to, it's no big deal.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I bought a multi tool.....boch one......bloody thing stop working after a year.......Must of only used it 20 times, blades didn't last 5 minutes either. .........less hassle to cut round the architrive. ....:)

O

Old Mod

I bought a multi tool.....boch one......bloody thing stop working after a year.......Must of only used it 20 times, blades didn't last 5 minutes either. .........less hassle to cut round the architrive. ....:)

Haha plot thickens!
See.....now we understand the source of your frustration Andy!;)

C

Colour Republic

.........less hassle to cut round the architrive. ....:)

Less hassle for who? You or the decorator who follows behind and has to clean all your grout out of the detail so he can get a clean sharp line?

Honestly cutting the bottom of the architrave takes seconds with a multi-tool or less than two minutes using a hand saw. It doesn't make you a chippy, it makes you conscientious, to both the customer and trades that follow either straight after you or years down the line.

Do you cut round toilets and basins too because it's less hassle than taking out? Tell that to the plumber that has to replace or repair it at a later date and tells the customer they also have to have their floor retiled or live with unsightly holes. Even if he puts the same back does he tell the HO that he can't re-grout round it because he's not a tiler? Equally taking out toilets and basins doesn't make you plumber. It's a simple task that many tilers come up against daily, I doubt many plumbers lose sleep over it and think they are being done out of a job.

And some tilers wonder why they lose business to builders and multi-traders :confused:

Sorry Andy not trying to have a pop mate, but really???

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Less hassle for who? You or the decorator who follows behind and has to clean all your grout out of the detail so he can get a clean sharp line?

Honestly cutting the bottom of the architrave takes seconds with a multi-tool or less than two minutes using a hand saw. It doesn't make you a chippy, it makes you conscientious, to both the customer and trades that follow either straight after you or years down the line.

Do you cut round toilets and basins too because it's less hassle than taking out? Tell that to the plumber that has to replace or repair it at a later date and tells the customer they also have to have their floor retiled or live with unsightly holes. Even if he puts the same back does he tell the HO that he can't re-grout round it because he's not a tiler? Equally taking out toilets and basins doesn't make you plumber. It's a simple task that many tilers come up against daily, I doubt many plumbers lose sleep over it and think they are being done out of a job.

And some tilers wonder why they lose business to builders and multi-traders :confused:

Sorry Andy not trying to have a pop mate, but really???
Ok mate to answer some of your questions...
You don't have to leave dollops of grout in the architrive in fact that's my pet hate.....hate seeing it just lazyness a decent scrapper and attention to detail is all that's needed. And to be fair where possible I do cut them down with a hand saw especially if it's new without any skirting.
I do accasionaly cut round toilets and basins if the customer doesn't want to take them out I'm not a plumber and knowing my luck something would leak if I did it and as I'm not insured for plumbing it could end up costing me a fortune. ...a risk I don't want to take......However spare tiles are always left behind so if anything needs to be replace then it's no real an issue...:)

Reply to Poll..do You Alter Doors, Plinths And Architrave? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen