Search the forum,

Discuss placement of expansion joints in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mojoammo

I am measuring for a large floor area of approx 120ms. The original plans ask for an expansion allowance at the entire perimeter of the floor, also around supporting pillars, and in the main field of tiling, in accordance with codes of practice. The area is 8.5m x 13m, how do I correctly place expansion joints in the tiling. There are not any expansion jionts in the concrete base, so how does this affect the tiled surface? I would appreciate some info

D

dock

mojoammo

be careful!!! in the event of a problem developing as it may be pushed back to you personally.

Guide lines are given in BS 5385 Part 3:2007 clauses 6.8 and 7.1.6 but the final decision regarding actual placing of these joints is down to the architect who will employ a structural engineer to give him advice. These people design the building and will have therefore taken into account the expected movement in service. They will then specify the type of movement joints to be incorporated in the tiled finish and where the movement joints should be placed

hope it goes well

dock

T

TilingLogistics

I have had this before in a similar situation. Do not make the decisions get the Architect to make them and supply you with a drawing with them on and specifying the exact joints required.

In my situation I stated what BS said and he took me at my word. But ultimately what we know as tilers regarding structure and movement you could probably write on a pinhead. Chat with them but leave the decision making to them is my advice

Good Luck:thumbsup:

Kev

M

mojoammo

Thanks for the feedback. The building in question was erected over fifteen years ago, and although I didn't see the original floor, I don't believe there were any joints in the main field of tiling. The original floor tiles lifted (tented) at the start of this year, which would suggest a lack of movement joints. I will be sending a copy of the floor plan to Schluter for their advice

S

Sutwam

Hi

Yep Schluter or Dural will know what they are talking about on the old movement joint front, might be worth an email to both

Hope you get it sorted :yes:

Reply to placement of expansion joints in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen