Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Original Style Pricing? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

redlee

I've been asked by a builder to quote for the following:-

Original style Warwick pattern http://www.originalstyle.com/downloads/victorian_floor_tiles/victorian-tiles.pdf

There is a 2m x 2m external porch, a 9.5m x 1.4m hallway which also has a 2.1 x 2.2m area on the side to form an L shape and a temporary wall at the end of the hallway which will be removed at a later date with the pattern to continue......

I need to price including materials with the client supplying the tiles.
Today! :thumbsup:

I've been tiling for 5 years but have never done geometric work before:lol:

Anybody give us an idea?
Cheers Lee.

T

Time's Ran Out

View attachment 3601

Redlee : This is a design described by others as Warwick with a traditional border.
Its a small entrance porch of about 3.5 sq mts and it took 2 days!
It is however just tiles cut from Pilkingtons dorest range of Red, Black and Stone.
Using the brand you've been asked to price the job on the centre pattern is straightforward and its possible to do about 4-5mts per day but the borders usually 15-20 linear mts per day.
Your floor is a total of approximately 22sq mts so I would base it on about 5-6days work (for me) and that's not including any floor preparation prior to tiling.
These type of floors are a learning curve and the price will depend on how much you want to learn. Its like marmite you'll either love doing them or find them a pain - but the rewards are great - satisfaction not financial. However until you do your first you'll never know!
If you decide to go for it contact me and I'll try to be a bit more precise for you.:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

redlee

I just gave a decent dayrate price for the geometrics, the builder has said he wants me to start the bathrooms in the show apartment this week so we'll see how i get on as the floor wont be starting until the other trades are out the way. I'll be picking your brains if i do get the floor.
Ta
Lee.

R

redlee

would love to do floors like that, wouldn't know where to start though

Thats my reasoning for going quite low on the day rate, would love to get my teeth into one but it's a bit of a biggun to start with.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

redlee

Ok - i didn't get it - two local lads priced it at £1500 between them and they reckon it's gonna take 2 weeks. Ta for your help folks, i'll get one of these one day.

T

Time's Ran Out

Redlee - Its not just about the price! For 22mts I don't think your competition were too far out. Were you over or under?
Confidence and a good porfolio are important with this type of tiling as clients perceive a lot of money going out in materials.
Keep trying and stay in touch:thumbsup:

John.

R

redlee

Trust me this guy isn't interested in the job looking bang on, the site is full of polish on £6 p/h. I went in at day rate of £120 each for two of us and estimated upto 10 days - £2400 maybe less depending on time, these guys are working for £375p/w before stoppages if it takes the expected 2 weeks. I'm starting to get desperate but i'm not there yet.

Reply to Original Style Pricing? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks