Search the forum,

Discuss Mosaics on green gyproc in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

1960bus

I recently had a new shower room tiled and the walls including the shower area were lined with moisture resistant plasterboad. Previously the room had ordinary plasterboard. After reading the board I realise that we should have used Aquapanel. My question is how long will this last? Should I be buying more tiles now so that I can replace around the shower when it fails?

Thanks,

D

davy_G

Its not a 'when'. Just an 'if' it fails.
You are more likely to have problems with plasterboard but you might be one of the many lucky ones who are blisfully unaware for many many years.
If you did it again use cement board or aquapanel and guarantee yourself no trouble.

As long as there is no movement, the grout isnt cracked and the silicone job is good you can hopefully forget about it.

D

Deleted member 1779

The other thing is did you tank it - or not?

shower3.jpg

This is a bog-standard shower cubical with tiles stuck onto plasterboard and plywood.

Is that similar to what you have done?

bal_tanking.jpg

Our tiler realised it at the stage above so he STOPPED.

He took the tiles off and then he waterproofed the cubical by using a tanking kit (see tub above) and then he painted all the surfaces with the waterproofing paint, plus we reinforced the corners with mesh.

Once dried the cubical was tiled.

I'm going to assume that you did nothing and that you just spread adhesive over plasterboard and then grouted. And I will assume your shower looks similar to the piccie above....

If that's true then your weakest point will fail over time. Might be a joint, tile edge, shower edge, control value. But anywhere where water can get in will start to weaken the plasterboard. As mentioned above you might be lucky and it will takes years, or it might take months.

The plasterboard will soak up water and then slowly expand. You might find tile sections popping off. If that does happen sometime in the future then its re-tile from scratch but then just use the better materials.

T

Time's Ran Out

For you to have a problem in the future water will have to get to the plasterboard.
Make sure you have no pinholes in the Mosaic grouting, the corners and base to the shower tray are sealed, and you don't have any gap around your shower dials/valves etc.
Obviously hindsight is a great virtue but prior to aquapanels being available it was exterior plywood, prior to that it was plasterboard and prior..... and as tiling is and becomes more of a fashion feature I'd be surprised if you still had the mosaics on the walls before it fails!
You stated that you had just HAD the room done - DIY or did you pay for it to be done. If its the later then I'd express my concern to the relevant trade person and ask them to supply a written gaurantee of their workmanship.:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

1960bus

I paid a friend to tile but I sheeted the room. I did ask him whether we should use ply but he thought we would be ok. I guess I'll wait and see. I was hoping to never have to do this again as the mosaic were hexagons and I ended up having to help cut them.

D

davy_G

I paid a friend to tile but I sheeted the room. I did ask him whether we should use ply but he thought we would be ok. I guess I'll wait and see. I was hoping to never have to do this again as the mosaic were hexagons and I ended up having to help cut them.

Expensive tiles...then get a mate to fix them on the . Im not having a go but its a common story.

Moral of the story: Get a few quotes, ask and learn then spend the money to get them fixed properly.:thumbsup:

1960bus

He is a plumber and tiler (not just a mate). He has done a really good job but I guess he was worried about my budget.

Reply to Mosaics on green gyproc in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen