Currently reading:
Materials costs

Discuss Materials costs in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fekin

That would depend on wether you are trying to guage what a tiler is charging you for doing the job for you, or are you buying it from a shop like Topps or B&Q.

Then it all depends on what quality of adhesive and grout you are on about.

If you go into somewhere like Topps Tiles just look on some tubbed adhesive and it will say how many sqm thast size of tubb will cover, same for grout.

You can pay anywhere from £9.99 for crappy B&Q 4.6L tub tile adhesive that will cover upto 5.5m2 or upto £30 for the better end of the range, same idea for grouts too.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

scrubmuncher

As fekin said, alot of what ifs. Would need more info than that to give a rough idea. Other than that just check out how much it would cost down Topps. If you want to know how much it would cost your tiler for the ads n grouts, trim, levellers, primers n whatever else needs to be used I wouldnt know, depending where we buy from we all get different trade discounts and different % on different gear, depends what he needs to use. I can tell you it costs a lot more for pro gear as apposed to DIY muck than the average client would think.
If you are trying to do the math, get a couple of quotes in and that'll give you an idea if your getting hit a bit hard.

Have you had any other quotes yet?

H

hazza1969

Therein lies the problem. It was organised by my other half. The job's been done and I'd assumed she'd got a quote but it looks like it was an estimate, not a quote and the final bill is about twice what we were expecting and I now feel we're being ripped off. It will probably turn out to be an expensive learning experience!

I think he used Ardex adhesive but I'm not 100% certain.

S

scrubmuncher

If the price has worked out twice as much then I would have expected him to clarify with you that you were ok with that. I would ask him first where the extra cost has gone as getting your materials wrong by half is a bit of a bad judgement. If he has had to replace walls and level the floor out (although should have known this before) then it is quite realistic for the original estimate to be way out.

F

Fekin

I can fully understand tradsmen giving out estimates if the job is going to require some form of unearthing, where you ain't going to know what something is like until halfway through a job, like after removing a full bathroom of tiles, and having a load of repair work that needs to be done to the walls.

So, really, an estimate should only ever shoot up dramatically if something like this has happened, and it should be shown\ told to the customer.

Forgetting what half your job is going to entail though when giving an estimate is no excuse, like forgetting about trims, propper amount of adhesive\grouts that are going to be needed and so on.

Reply to Materials costs in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few ways to fix tile to bathroom walls. First you need to prepare the walls for tiling. Note that...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for tiling.I have removed the floor boards and plan to lay 18mm WBP plywood.The question is, what...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.