Discuss Limestone Roman Opus in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

TMTservices

Hi fellas.

Used LTP mattstone on Limestone Roman opus. Im not too happy with the finish its left as the colour variation in tiles is too noticable for my liking.

Tiles were given a good shuffle, though it seems that a lot of the same sized stone look paler than the rest.

What product would you guys reccommend to strip the stone back to original state, and what sealer would you reccommend to really draw out the colours in the stone?

Thanks.

Sean.

M

Marble Life Ltd

Sean

You need to be a little careful with Limestone. Very often to see if a stone will accept an enhancer well try simply wetting it with a damp sponge. If it darkens significantly this is a good indication that it will accept an enhancing sealer well.

Kev Martin

D

DHTiling

Hi fellas.

Used LTP mattstone on Limestone Roman opus. Im not too happy with the finish its left as the colour variation in tiles is too noticable for my liking.

Tiles were given a good shuffle, though it seems that a lot of the same sized stone look paler than the rest.

What product would you guys reccommend to strip the stone back to original state, and what sealer would you reccommend to really draw out the colours in the stone?

Thanks.

Sean.

If the colour variation shows up with just Mattstone , then it will show up even more with an enhancer..

Any pics of the floor..?

M

Marble Life Ltd

If the colour variation shows up with just Mattstone , then it will show up even more with an enhancer..

Any pics of the floor..?

Why? You just vary the coats of enhancer on the lighter tiles

D

DHTiling

That depends on how big the difference in colour is though don't you agree..?

A stone will only deepen so much..

T

TMTservices

thanks chaps.

No pics yet but I'll spin over and get some tomorrow. Will explain it better I think.

I dont know if its just my opinion, and I just dont like them. But to me they look awful.

They were a nightmare too. Size variation was severe in some cases. And a lot of miscuts came in the batch. All good fun.

Either way Im going to have to get this mattstone off Im thinking, what would you suggest I use?

T

Time's Ran Out

It sounds to me as if the grade of stone is such that the collated sizes have been batched from different areas of the quarry. Although the colour will intensify with a sealer/enhancer I don't see that the variation in the natural product will give an acceptable blend if this is the case - jury is out until pictures!

T

TMTservices

sorry for delay in pics. Have not had chance to pop up today. Back up there on friday, so will post them then.

T

TMTservices

Called in today, no one home, so still no pics. A quick peek through the window though and it looks a lot better than I remembered. Still a few light ones kicking about. I may just enhance those ones to try bring them up a level.

D

DHTiling

Natural stone is prone to shading with certain ones... only a pure white limestone will be nearly consistent colouring from tile to tile but don't panic .. This is the natural nature of a none man made product...

T

TMTservices

Hahah. I know. Its just me I think. Customers are happy as larry. Id still value your opinions though, so will still post pics.

T

Topshop

I bet it will look just fine once the grout is in. That really seems to tie it all together.

M

Mathewleo

So still no pics yet. I am Mathew by the way just quickly send the pics so i put forward my points of view as well.

T

TMTservices

Apologies to anyone whos interested for delay with pic. Job complete now and customer happy, but would still like your opinion. Should I have put them in? Smaller stones to top right of floor. Bottom half ungrouted. Thanks.

Attachments

• limestone colour.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 35

Reply to Limestone Roman Opus in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks