Discuss Leveling compound 'skin' in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I used some Mapei Ultimate leveler 1210 yesterday. Today I've noticed that in an area of it a skin 1mm thick has raised and separated and can easily be scraped off. When I laid it there was quite a lot of air bubbles rising in it and I went over with a steel float to try and get rid of them, now I remember my bricklayer father telling me that a steel float brings cement to the surface and a wooden one sends it down, could this be my problem and in future should I just leave it alone?

O

One Day

Sounds like too much water to me? Did you follow the ratio instructions? Most of us would throw an extra cup of water into levellers but too much and you get water bleed

F

Flintstone

I've had this before with two different levellers mixed with the right amount of water and I'm not sure what the reason is, but it's usually when it's a deep pour. How deep have you gone ? Leave it to set hard then scrape off any loose surface layers, then you should be ok

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Did you clean and prime the substrate first?

J

Just Rizzle

did you put the right amount of water to powder sounds likeyouve over done the water i use that leveler all the time and have never had a problem .did you us a spiked roller to agitate the leveller if you say you had the mix right

Reply to Leveling compound 'skin' in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks