Discuss Let's talk about websites....... in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Who's got one....
How much did you pay...
Do you pay a monthly fee to host it..
How well does it preform on Google searches...

Need to update mine, or start again, I have had quotes off yell, as im thinking of ditching my yell.com advert and just stick with a decent web site.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have one, cost around £1700, I pay an annual fee, it’s not much under £200 I think.
Just tried google and I come up second to a company 20 miles away.

I always check with potential customers as to how they know about us and not one yet has mentioned the website.

I would rather spend the money on local advertising.

W

Waluigi

Had one done about 12 years ago. Was a freebie off a mate and it’s terrible really. Very old photos of jobs I did many years ago and I’ve not updated it. It’s something I’ve not thought about as I’ve got plenty on. The same goes for all advertising. Even the van has been left with no sign writing.

The website doesn’t cost me a penny- apart from the domain name.

Just to add, pretty much every job I do is a recommendation. Hardly any new leads.

W

WetSaw

I used to have a web based business. Did the website myself with Webplus software and it worked well but it was quite a niche business so keywords had good search results. Tagged photos worked very well, certain ones still appear now when you search even though it's 10 years since I stopped.

There's a thread about websites from @Dan somewhere....

Reaction score
We have one, think it was around £500 plus £10 a month.
To be honest it’s not great, hasn’t ever been updated,
I only know of 2 jobs in 3 years that it’s generated - so it’s probably not paid for itself yet.

F

Flintstone

I have a website which I build myself and sorted it all out I can't remember exactly what the costs are for hosting but it's around £10 a year for the domain and £100 a year for the hosting. You need to put time in and think about your content and layout and also regular updates. I'm not sure how I rank on Google as when I search on my phone I come up very high but not sure if that's the same when Joe public search. It gets some traffic tho and customers see it. Are you any good with a computer ? You don't need to be bill gates.

Search tiler in Sheffield see where I come up I'd be interested to know

W

Waluigi

3rd down on the first index, then sixth down on the main results.

0E7BCB7B-E67E-4B74-AF68-011C94C0149F.png

I think it depends on what type of work you do and the clientele you’re aiming for. When I first started out I was all keen- spent a fortune getting the van sign written, expensive embroidered polo shirts and workwear, nice business cards, letter heads, compliment slips etc etc. Nowadays I don’t do any of it. Website I completely ignore.

Ultimately the customer would be paying for it all and I’m not prepared to do it anymore even if it is pennies.

F

Flintstone

I think you would be surprised at the statistics of the Google places listing.
With online presence to the general public you take the rough with the smooth. I did my web site really for somewhere to show what I'm about and it's on my business card.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I think you would be surprised at the statistics of the Google places listing.
With online presence to the general public you take the rough with the smooth. I did my web site really for somewhere to show what I'm about and it's on my business card.
That's a nice website Andy.
I to built my website through GBBO years ago, but it's not very good, not mobile friendly or secure .

Yell have offered to build me one for £299 and want £35 a month to host it..
What do they mean by hosting ..?
Will it guarantee that you will be highly ranked on the first page..?

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Also got one here done myself on GBBO many years ago, I update pics once a year at best. been meaning to get a better one done but just never get round to it. I use it mainly for Customers to see previous works.

W

Waluigi

Just checked mine, not on the first, second or third page of google so I gave up:tearsofjoy:

Found it when I typed the company name.......and area. Bath-Style.co.uk.

Actually I should really organise it. I quite fancy one of those packages you can get from 1and1. I doubt I’ll get round to doing it though.

F

Flintstone

I wouldn't entertain yell.com Andy

By hosting they mean the webspace, server space etc. Hosting only costs about 70 to 100 a year. If your capable on a pc it isn't overly complicated to do your own. What is your reason for wanting a site ?

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
My page used to be set up through google maps so always showed on local google searches on page one. No more unfortunately

F

Flintstone

Nothing gaurantees you being first page on Google Andy and don't be tricked into paying people who promise that!

Reply to Let's talk about websites....... in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks