Search the forum,

Discuss Laser Level V Spirit Level in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JedMc

Hello all,

Had an interesting problem occur today, I'm sure some of you will have experienced it already.

I was struggling last week with lay out lines in the bathroom, I was using my Stanley 1200mm level which I've had for a few years, and granted it's been knocked a few times.
Now as a rule, I turn it end for end after marking ( it apparently offsets any deviation in the bubble? ) but no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to line up?

Yesterday, I bouight a good quality Laser Level ( Topcon LC2 ) I watched it being calibrated, so I know it's accurate, Today, I marked a line accross the wall 1700mm long with the spirit level, when I lined up the laser over it, I was gradually running out to about 3mm on the far right, with the Laser level at a distance of less than 2 metres :mad2:

I then checked the bath level, and I'm a good 10mm low on the right, and so all my first row of tiles were wrong, and I've spent most of the afternoon trying to put it right, I've ended up having to cut the first row in, and had to re-calculate my lay out lines.
Looking at it again, the bubble is narrower than the vial lines, and not getting this spot on is where I went wrong, although, after testing a few mates, they said it was spot on level until I proved otherwise with the laser.

This is only my 3rd bathroom, I'm not a tiler ( Clearly :lol: ) and it's knocked me a bit, got really fed up with it, but I'm glad I had the laser, to show me my unforseen error.

Moral being..............Check your level, or get a laser :lol:

p.s I bought a nice new Stanley 1200mm spirit level for £19 at Costco this evening!

Cheers

Jed

D

doug boardley

I use both, having only recently got a laser level (6 months ago) I tend to do a double check with one or the other.

G

Gazzer

Laser for setting out in the bigger rooms but level for marking lines on the walls

T

TilerJames

Im laser level all the way. Always use it for putting battons round the room, makes life so much easier for when your fixing them onto the wall. Once fixed, i do just double check with the spirit level just to be sure, and it only takes a minute. It can even be handy for checking if the window is running off when your marking your first window cut.

Maybe the room you were in was to bright, when ever i put battons on, if the room was too bright it would slightly blur the beam a bit, but once the room is dim, the beam is nice and crisp on the batton.

S

Scott

I always check the level by turning it round the oppostie way. If its out then so is the level.

I use my laser on a plasterboard prop and set it up to each course of tiles as i go. Its much quicker at making sure its spot on and not running off. The vertical line is especially good for making sure the brickbond is inline on the vertical joints too

C

Colour Republic

I always check the level by turning it round the oppostie way. If its out then so is the level.

I use my laser on a plasterboard prop and set it up to each course of tiles as i go. Its much quicker at making sure its spot on and not running off. The vertical line is especially good for making sure the brickbond is inline on the vertical joints too

I agree :)

4842081984_ddf75760b7.jpg

Reply to Laser Level V Spirit Level in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen