Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Importance of sealing stone in the Tile Retail | Wholesale | Import / Export Tile area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Q

Qwerty

I was contacted by a previous customer in the week who was not happy with how his fireplace had been sealed. He was concerned with the quality of the sealer they had applied and wanted me to reseal it. I tested it and after a few minutes it had soaked up some water. I told him that I would seal it with LTP Colour Intensifier but use an off cut to test first.

Here are the results of one half sealed and other not with a tablespoon of water after just 5 minutes........

ypa6y5y3.jpg

After 2 hours the unsealed part had absorbed all of the water but the sealed half was totally unchanged. A quality sealer is essential with stone (along with correct application technique).

M

Mr Tiler

What was the reason for unhappiness with original sealer? Was there an issue or just simply the tin didn't look a good sealer? Cheers

J

jonnyc

not sure if this is the right test to make.
what you have is your sealer creating surface tension which is wanting to reject water even after only 5 mins as you say.
but that surface tension could be eradiacted with a brief scrub with a nylon pad.
i am not an expert on this but i am very experienced with many sealers over last 25 years.
i believe that the key is seeing how the stone is sealed after at least 24 hours .
even then the surface tension will be taken away when grouting but hopefully one can see difference between sealers at this point in time only.

Q

Qwerty

not sure if this is the right test to make.
what you have is your sealer creating surface tension which is wanting to reject water even after only 5 mins as you say.
but that surface tension could be eradiacted with a brief scrub with a nylon pad.
i am not an expert on this but i am very experienced with many sealers over last 25 years.
i believe that the key is seeing how the stone is sealed after at least 24 hours .
even then the surface tension will be taken away when grouting but hopefully one can see difference between sealers at this point in time only.

I fully appreciate that jonny, it was a quick test to demonstrate to my client the importance of sealing as he is worried cup ring marks will be left on the stone. Just shows how well the sealers work and how important they really are

Reply to Importance of sealing stone in the Tile Retail | Wholesale | Import / Export Tile area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks