Discuss How did it all start for you? And where? (How did you become a tiler?) in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

finlay

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Served my time with a plastering and tiling firm then started a plastering firm for 20 years employing 20 plasterers .Always liked tiling better so when my son left school shut the plastering firm down and started a tiling company ,now both my sons are in the firm ,nothing could be better teaching them the trade and now being able to look at the jobs they turn out week in week out .Also get on with them both great. I have a grandson of 5 who already wants to be a tiler

D

Dumbo

It started with my own shower, then my girlfriend ( now known as misses Jerry )had a leaky flat roof and her tiles fell off the wall , then she moved and did a load of tiling in that house , then we brought a pair of cottages to renovate, more tiling , sold them then I needed some work so asked the guy who we got the tiles off did he have any work , he did , so worked i for him for a little while then went out on my own , and thats where I'm at now .

Reaction score
Been considering it for a few years now but couldn't really justify leaving the job I'm finally about to leave. I can retire early now so I did a course with Darren at UK Pro Tiling Training earlier this year then two Schluter training courses. I have a few jobs building up (unpaid for friends) and hope to start this full time in the new year. Eventual plan is to move back to Germany once brexit is sorted.

Al@Lifetiles

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Got a degree in Fine Art which sadly wouldn't pay my bills. Started work in a Tile Studio, making painting and glazing ceramic tiles. Decided i would like to fit them as well as make them so did a short course at The Master Tiling School in Essex. Met a great bunch and worked for their fitting team doing projects throughout London before gaining the knowledge and confidence to go it alone. That was nearly 15 years ago but still hoping to get back to being an Artist one day!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was a Toxicologist for 17 years, last 5 years of that I'd been shifted into middle management and it wasn't Science anymore. Just dealing with ***** from staff (school leavers still acting like kids) and getting crap from above from people who didn't have a clue. Already decided it wasn't for me anymore. Wanted to be my own boss at something and not have to deal with petty politics, taking a financial hit didn't bother me as I was that fed up.
Had a big 12 month study I'd just set up for Cancer Research UK so wanted to get that running smoothly with enough people trained up before I left. Was looking at plastering courses - always loved watching good plasterers work and thought if I could be as good as them then it would be so satisfying. Then one weekend I get called into work. Turn up to find one of the lads I'd trained up to be the lead technician in the CR UK study dead in the canteen. To see him laid out on the canteen floor with forensic plastic bags, bag tied over his head and hands was devastating, he wasn't just a colleague but a friend too.
My plans to leave had to be put on hold due to the ***** storm that followed. Post Mortem confirmed his body contained fatal levels of the powerful opiate Fentanyl Citrate that we had been working with. Not accidental contact caused by incorrect PPE but actually deliberately taking it. I personally think he'd been helping himself to it for weeks, developing a tolerance and then finally ODing on it.
More delay as HSE descended upon the Labs, my bosses running around like headless chickens, inquest looming and I was left to deal with the lot of it.
Once that was all over I was gone, gone, gone.

Reply to How did it all start for you? And where? (How did you become a tiler?) in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks