Search the forum,

Discuss Help with a few questions please.... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

Carl Morrison

I've been using this forum a lot in prep for tiling my master ensuite and a wealth of knowledge here... I have some questions specific to my job though and any help/advise appreciated :)

I am using 10mm 600x400mm porcelain tiles with minimal back details
Maybe 1mm depth. Tiling on to mix of new plaster board (no plaster skim), cement backer board for wet area, and ply flooring levelled with level flex. Proposing to use standard setaflex on all surfaces (appropriately primed)
1) please advise trowel spec/sizefor each substrate
2) I'm thinking of buying Erbauer ERB337TCB 750W Tile Saw 230V | NoLinksToThis. Gets good reviews but wondering if anyone here has used one?
3)Do you guys use tile trims for external corners or mitre the tiles? If mitre, can you advise method/tips please.
4) anyone used level flex? Is it really self levelling or do you need to work it?...and the manufacturer says OK to 3mm but has anyone tried to feather to less?
5) I have a first generation big clinker...do you think this will handle straight cuts on these tiles OK?...length or crossways? Its long enough just not sure how it will cope with 10mm porcelain?..

Thanks in advance :)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
hi, I would go with a 10mm trowel, cutter looks ok but its the blades that make the difference, if it struggles to cut the tile you may have to upgrade the blade, I prefer to use square edge metal trim with pors, or you could mitre the edges, the cutter your thinking of buying will do this but again it depends on the blade and the kind of finish your going to get, level flex is good but it has fibres in it to make it flexible so its hard to feather below 3mm, never used a big clinker but have heard there a good budget cutter, so should cope ok with 10mm pors..:thumbsup:

C

Carl Morrison

Thanks Andy for the prompt response. Was hoping I may be able to get away with smaller trowelsize as the walls are very flat and square ....as done by my own fair hand :)

What are a good replacement blades please!? Thanks again....oh and how do you find mitre finish looks compared to a square trim?

P

Paulyboy

in my opinion, the big clinker will struggle to break those tiles......I use a Sigma 3CM Max, and it scores and cuts porc like theres no tomorrow!,and would be perfectfor your size tile. Always was a Rubi man, but now i use Sigma for all sizes and types of tile

C

CON5933

Hi Carl, 10mm trowel would be my choice, (don't forget to Back Skim the tile) if you do go for a smaller trowel I'd probably opt for Back Butterring the tile... 'flat isn't always flat' Never used the Big Clinker myself... The Erbauer cutter should be ample for those tiles with its new blade..keep the water topped up..

Reply to Help with a few questions please.... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen