Discuss Grouting Mitres in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

rabw

-
Reaction score
Hello all, just wondered if anyone could tell me the best way to join porcelain mitres together (assuming I can get the cuts right, I'm a DIYer)?

I've seen people say to use resin, if that's right what is the best stuff? I'd be after something white and satin if that exists.

Also, do you put the resin in after tiling (like grout), or is the resin applied as you tile like adhesive to fully fill the gap between the mitred tiles (for strength)?

Thanks!
[automerge]1600443514[/automerge]
Edited to add: I've seen elsewhere suggesting using silicone in the joint. Is this a good option?

Last edited:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Grout if you are grouting everywhere else.

Got any pictures of the area?

rabw

-
Reaction score
Grout if you are grouting everywhere else.

Got any pictures of the area?

Thanks, I’d read that grout had a tendency to crack/fall out in a mitre joint. Is that not so? My grout is Mapei Keracolor FF, I believe there is an additive for this that makes it more flexible. Would it be advisable to use this?

I’ve attached a picture of my tanked bathroom (about the start on the floor). I’ll have external corners round the window and the boxed in cistern/sink area. All floor, walls and bath panel will be 594x594x10 satin porcelain.

5B27C6DB-6037-404E-B85F-0165468E330F.jpeg

rabw

-
Reaction score
Apologies for the upside down picture (iPhone). Here it is the right way up.

I've started cutting tiles - my god they're harder than I remember porcelain being, maybe the last time I did this they were an easier type/manufacturer. Big clinker useless. Wet sawing all of them now, with a new blade (Abracs Tile & Porcelain Diamond Blade 180 x 25.4/22mm) on my Erbauer saw the finished edge seems reasonable.

Fingers crossed my tanking in the shower is good enough - adhesive corners/eges went on neatly and painted the solution on decently thickly as per instructions, but being my first time I'm fretting a little!

5B27C6DB-6037-404E-B85F-0165468E330F.jpeg

rabw

-
Reaction score
Next question. Does anyone recommend/use a 45 degree trim in a mitre?

Seen these Schluter Finec trims that look like they’re designed for it. Would they reduce the chip risk? Or is the chip risk not so great anyway?

https://www.*******************/search?category_id=&search=Schluter+finec+

Reply to Grouting Mitres in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks