Search the forum,

Discuss Grout for between paving stones in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Maybell

Hi
We put down a new patio last autumn with indian sandstone paving slabs Indian Limestone - Paving Stone - Manor Stone Quarries Limited (600 X 600 sawn edge).
The supplier recommended using a sandy type grout that you brush into the joints and wet with a hose. The problem is that now when I try to powerwash the patio all this sandy grout keeps getting washed out of the joints. As the stone is black it needs to be powerwashed regularly.

Does anyone know of a normal type grout that can be used outdoors with this type of stone and will withstand powerwashing? Is there any issue of needing expansion joints etc (patio 30m2)?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

If the grout joints had been 10mm sand/cement would have been a preference, the trouble with putting dry grout and soaking with water the top of the grout gets a crust and sinks down and the powder underneath dos'nt get the moisture to set properly.

Hi and welcome..

P

Perry

i have just done mine sealed them first with stainstop then grouted them with sand cement mixed like grout loverly

M

Maybell

i have just done mine sealed them first with stainstop then grouted them with sand cement mixed like grout loverly

Thanks for reply. What ratio of sand / cement mix would I need? I presume I need to make it up quite wet?
I don't really want to seal the stone first as I want to keep the natural look so could I get away without the sealer?

P

Perry

Stainstop will keep the natural look done mine 3 & 1 but you won't be able to do it without sealing the tiles first you will never get the cement of the surface there may be better sealers out there others may be able to help with up to date sealers I am one of the old ones lol

Reply to Grout for between paving stones in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen