Search the forum,

Discuss Fixing on an outside step in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hey guys went to see a job tonight........What Bank holiday??!!!

Its for an outside step to her house with Quarry tiles.

So I figured use the BAL raipdset adh , and BAL wide joint grout?

The cust has rounded edge tiles as well - I assumed I would meet the two curves one horizontally and 1 vertically to join the step ?

My Rubi TS50 should handle the straight cuts ?, but what blade should I use with my wetcutter? (Plastaplugs Mastertiler) are they as hard to wetcut as they look!

Would a 6mm spacer be excessive?

Cheers and for those who enjoyed the sun and BH..hope you had a good 1

Lucky Bar stewards.:8:

AK

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

Hey guys went to see a job tonight........What Bank holiday??!!!

Its for an outside step to her house and she has those small vitrified orangey brown tiles you know the ones they use in the old Victorian kitchens!

So I figured use the BAL raipdset adh , and BAL wide joint grout?

The cust has rounded edge tiles as well - I assumed I would meet the two curves one horizontally and 1 vertically to join the step ?

My Rubi TS50 should handle the straight cuts ?, but what blade should I use with my wetcutter? (Plastaplugs Mastertiler) are they as hard to wetcut as they look!

Would a 6mm spacer be excessive?

Cheers and for those who enjoyed the sun and BH..hope you had a good 1

Lucky Bar stewards.:8:

AK
Do you mean Quarry Tiles?

G

grumpygrouter

Have a look at www.dennisruabon.co.uk at their technical literature, there is excellent information there about fixing these type of tile. You may ghave to register with the site to get access to the tech section but it is free and they don't send spam.

As a quick round up, no 6mm isn't to excessive. Rapidset is fine as is the adhesive. As for cutting, yes the rubi should cut them, my montolit does but they dont break with the smoothest edge. Any cut edges showing really need to be done with the wet saw. My briccollina struggled a bit when I had some steps to tile so make sure you have a good blade.

The RE tiles( round edge) just over-lap the row at the front of the riser( step ) , it will not look right if you put RE against RE.........you will also need RE,X's for the corners....( double round edge 2 directions )..........

Thanks dave,

Overlap by how much a couple of mm? It makes sense for the RE-X's - I'll check with the cust.

Another couple of acronims learnt!

AK

D

DHTiling

What i mean by overlap is to sit the RE on top the straight cut on the face of the step riser.....here is a pic of a fire hearth i did it might make it a bit clearer for you...the round edge goes on top of the steps...

bookatrix_014.jpg

Have a look at www.dennisruabon.co.uk at their technical literature, there is excellent information there about fixing these type of tile. You may ghave to register with the site to get access to the tech section but it is free and they don't send spam.

As a quick round up, no 6mm isn't to excessive. Rapidset is fine as is the adhesive. As for cutting, yes the rubi should cut them, my montolit does but they dont break with the smoothest edge. Any cut edges showing really need to be done with the wet saw. My briccollina struggled a bit when I had some steps to tile so make sure you have a good blade.

cheers Grumpy looks like a good site - I'll read through it later!

that briccolina looks like a handy bit of kit -

The Mastertiler I have was a course recommendation - would you expect to find this in a DIY'ers kit or is it suitable!? Its served me well so far but so did Lager before I found Malts! lol!

Cheers

AK
----
What i mean by overlap is to sit the RE on top the straight cut on the face of the step riser.....here is a pic of a fire hearth i did it might make it a bit clearer for you...the round edge goes on top of the steps...

bookatrix_014.jpg

Cheers Dave,

That was the 1st thing i tried when I looked at the step...and then changed my mind.

Looks like a nice finish.....

Appriciate all your help guys.....:thumbsup: Although I do feel stupid sometimes asking these questions! A few more years and i'll be rolling out the advice.

AK

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Fixing on an outside step in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.