Search the forum,

Discuss Fixing backerboard onto plasterboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

michael512

Hi, I am re-tiling my bathroom with 50x20cm ceramic tiles (horizontilly).

I have removed the old tiles from the main wall running along-side the bath (internal wall). The bath also used as a shower.

As you can guess, there were quite a few chunks of plasterboardthat came away with the tiles.although the structure is still pretty stable with some dry adhesive remaining.

I am going to do it properly this time and have bought some backerboard,

Question - can
the backerboard be fixed directly over the plasterboard and then tiled?

By doing i this was I will lose about 12mm of space (the thickness of the backerboard) but this sounds better than trying to rip out the old plasterboard and replace it with the backerboard. Any ideas?

M

michael512

Re: planning tiles around the bath

Hi, now I am at the stage of tiling around and above the bath. My tiles are 50x20cm and they are going horizontally at 50 cm wide.
They are plain white but I also have 9 tiles in grey. The wall running along the bath is 186cm. My idea is to fix the 9 grey tiles in the centre, with one column of white each-side. However, this leaves a space of 18 cm each in each corner. I dont like the idea of these 'smaller width' tiles in each corner.

The only alternative is to place 50 cm white in the corner (the shower is on the adjacent wall) then the grey and another col. of white, leaving 36cm for white at the other end. they grey wont be eactly inthe centre but cant think of alternative.

ALSO, me missus wants a full tile running along the bath. The grout line (taken from the window-shelf) is 4 cm higher. I have tiled one-side of the room to the window grout line but ofcourse where the tiles around the bath meet the rest of the room there is a 4 cm 'fault-line'. The meeting point is where the shower-screen will be fitted so hopefully the difference will not be toooo noticable. Dont want a border tile. any ideas.

Reply to Fixing backerboard onto plasterboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.