Discuss External Corner - Trim causing fixing problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

robsmith28

Hi,

I'm having my firs foray into tiling and I'm getting on OK, except for the only external corner that I've got to deal with. My tiles are 6.5mm. The only trim I could find was either 9mm or 6mm. I bought and affixed some 6mm as I thought I'd just butt up to it and grout the space. However the corner is just over half a tiles width and when I try to lay the tile the angle caused by the additional depth (plus the fact the wall is slightly concaved) means the tile juts out WAY above the height of the trim. Should I have gone for 9mm? Is there a good article on dealing with external corners I could be directed to?

Any help greatly appreciated.

P.S. I've posted this in the Guest area too, will redirect people here...

R

robsmith28

As in I should buy 7mm trim? I couldn't see any. Also, I still fear the angle caused by the edge of the trim will still be problematic. Is there a way around this?

Apologies for my ignorance. I wish I could afford to get one of you guys in to do it...

G

Gazzer

If the tile is 6.5mm and the trim 7mm it should be ok but we cant see what you can see. 9mm may or may not sort the issue, some tiles require thicker trim as some tiles are thicker if the are cut...as in the may have bevelled edges or chamfered edges.
Just because one shop doesnt sell the trim required it doesnt mean its not available.

R

robsmith28

The tile is 6.5mm and the trim 6mm, sorry, though they are bevelled

It's the corner of a chimey stack going through the bathroom which is causing my problem. The stack is about 2 and a half tiles width (though widens to nearly 3 at the top!), so I've centered one tile and am cutting 3/4 widths either side, so I haven't got a bevelled edge to sink into the trim. Is this the norm?

R

Raja

hi mate i use yorkshire tile company in sheffield they do have a branch in leeds who sell 6.5mm and 7mm trims as i have purchased b 4 LEEDS
Stanningley Road
Armley
(0113) 279 4611​

R

robsmith28

Oh no! Just looked that up and it' only 1/2 mile from where I am - have been driving 4 miles to get to a B&Q where the choice and advise is rubbish. I'll try them. Do you generally the just lay trim flat to the wall and make up the level to the side with adhesive?

R

Raja

when u go in tell them u r a tiler and if u r lucky u might get a trade card they dont ask many questions 33% off everything every one lays the trim differntly i usally layv the tiles then slip trim in after my partner puts adhesive to surface then lays trim all trial and error which ever way u find it easy

G

Gazzer

Sounds like the problem is the bevelled edges on the tiles, they are not the easiest of tiles to use and get a good finish. Cut one in half and measure the thickness then use a trim over that size.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the problem is the bevelled edges on the tiles, they are not the easiest of tiles to use and get a good finish. Cut one in half and measure the thickness then use a trim over that size.

VERY good tip!

G

Gazzer

Cut a tile in half then measure the thickness of the tile it will be thicker in the centre due to the bevelled edge. Use that thickness to determine the trim needed.

R

robsmith28

Excellent, thanks very much.

Just out of interest...about how long would a pro take to tile a bathroom (without being perfectionist but a to-sight good job) 16m2, walls only, quite uneven walls, just one window?

Reply to External Corner - Trim causing fixing problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks