Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss ever been asked to reveal mark up on supply of materials before? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jonnyc

i am quoting to fix stone and supply adhesive/grout/sealer on a project in a church.
I will do the job if accepted with a stone supplier.
we are being asked to give a % mark up on materials supplied.
is this unusual?
i dont ever remember being asked this before and have done a few churches years ago.

C

Colour Republic

This has been asked as part of a larger contract right?

Yes on some large contracts we've been asked to tender for then yes it's asked as an agreed markup on future materials that may be needed.

in the same way extra works on day rate are agreed.

if this is a smaller contract where the price is pretty much set then no.

it is being asked to protect both you and the client.

J

jonnyc

Ok I understand the need to know mark up if extra materials supplied.
they also asked day rate for extra works and that fine too.dont really want to tell them my mark up on ditra and adhesive . They want a fixed price for job based on sub floor being prepped ok and that should be it I feel.
i don't do much commercial stuff .thanks for advice from you both

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Not to do with them. If you mark up too much you'll be too expensive and won't win the work. If too little you have to live with it.

i would never reveal such confidential information to a client....

And how much have you got in the bank and what's your credit card number and PIN number by the way....

J

jonnyc

Not to do with them. If you mark up too much you'll be too expensive and won't win the work. If too little you have to live with it.

i would never reveal such confidential information to a client....

And how much have you got in the bank and what's your credit card number and PIN number by the way....
Well I always reveal the number of bags of adhesive I will supply and the total cost of each material i supply so client can workout the cost per bag.same with ditra but I don't see the necessiity to reveal my mark up.Or for that matters the make of adhesive i am supplying as long as it comes within the spec required.Isuppose I might think differently if I were to lose contract for not disclosing but surely it would not come down to that.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I never reveal my true costs to the customer. If they go and buy the tiles themselves I just say to them I have spoken to supplier and asked them to take my discount off the total. For example if I get 30% discount on the tiles I will tell customer that I get 15% and I have the remainder as credit against my next purchase. So we both win.

C

Colour Republic

Ok I understand the need to know mark up if extra materials supplied.
they also asked day rate for extra works and that fine too.dont really want to tell them my mark up on ditra and adhesive . They want a fixed price for job based on sub floor being prepped ok and that should be it I feel.
i don't do much commercial stuff .thanks for advice from you both
[FONT=&quot]They are not interested in your actual mark up and you don't have to tell them, it's more that if you put a figure of say 10% then they know they will never pay anything more than retail price +10%

For example
say RRP is £50 then plus 10% is £60 (This is the maximum you could ever charge)
If you have a deal with a supplier that gives it to you for £20 that doesn't mean you can only charge £22, what you pay is not in question it’s the maximum they could be charged that is

Same on day rate if it's agreed you will supply a chippy at £200 a day then that is set for any extra works and they don't get surprises[/FONT]

W

White Room

I go to one supplier who charges the same to trade and retail which makes it bit awkward at times....

P

Pebbs

Yes John, I do have to reveal the material base costs on some projects, they are now asking for the breakdown materials and then the labour, plant and additional items. There is no where to hide, because they also have a copy of the material quote from the specified stone supplier.

Its a bit crap really.

Lynn

D

Dougs Third Go

all the customer needs to know from me, imo, is that I'm providing it cheaper than what they can get it, (this is domestic clients), on commercial jobs I let main contractor get materials as I'm not VAT registered.

Reply to ever been asked to reveal mark up on supply of materials before? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks