Search the forum,

Discuss Epoxy grout? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Prem Tiler

Hi fellas, I've been asked to quote for 2xKitchen splash backs and maybe floors in a school. The job is for the builder who phoned me today. He didn't give me much spec over the phone only that the was will be 100 x 100 ceramics and he didn't know the meter2 but thinks its about 50m2.

I'm wondering if its the kitchen that they prepare the kids lunches (and at 50m2 I would think so) will it need Epoxy grouting? If so what would you guys charge for this. I've not used it and have heard it will take an age to grout.

D

doug boardley

if it's a food prep area, it'll be epoxy, that long since I've used epoxy Dean that I can't help you really:thumbsdown:

J

jay

epoxy grout is not that bad to do takes a little longer just make sure you follow instructions have used and rec laticrete sp 100 you will prob need anti sag for walls:8:

G

grumpygrouter

I have used Easypoxy a couple of times anow and it isn't bad at all. My areas were small and with large format tiles so your 100x100 and 50m2 might be a different ball game altogether! With easypoxy you get about 20 -25 mins in the tub and you need to start cleaning off after about half hour. You would have to do small areas at a time and make sure you take your time. it is essential to have a HARD rubber float as this makes cleaning off much much easier. You will also need lots of white scourers and you will go through loads of sponges for that area. The sponges and scourers get very sticky during clean off so you will need plenty off them.

J

jay

you will also need gloves and very warm water as well as grumpy advice which is good as usual:8:

F

faithhealer

Hi Dean, just the fact it's 100 sq tiles and 50 sq mts will take longer than you think. Let the builder supply all the mats because you would be guessing how much epoxy you will need and it's a bit more pricey than the norm

G

Gazzer

I have just completed 2 food areas walls only, one kitchen in a care home and one kitchen in a school. According to the spec, all that was asked for was antibacterial grout.
Bal Microflex was suggested to the architect and after he/she checked it was approved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Get some more details, epoxy over 'normal' grout will make a big difference in pricing in my opinion, for example, it's just taken 2 of us 2 days to grout a 45 m2 ceiling, 220mm x 120mm with a 6mm grout joint, 2 of us, 2 days to do a 45 m2 floor, 150mm x 150mm non slip with bobbles etc, so it does take far longer and much more kit, as has been mentioned, scourers and spongers etc, out of interest, the schools not in the North East is it ?

G

grumpygrouter

I have just completed 2 food areas walls only, one kitchen in a care home and one kitchen in a school. According to the spec, all that was asked for was antibacterial grout.
Bal Microflex was suggested to the architect and after he/she checked it was approved.
That does surprise me Neale

G

Gazzer

That does surprise me Neale

Yes i had the same thoughts myself but seeing as the paperwork received only stated anti bacterial grout we suggested Microflex.
Maybe cost for the architect was a factor or the fact that the actual food would be prepared on stainless steel work surfaces in the centre of the rooms.

Nothing surprises me anymore.

Reply to Epoxy grout? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen