Discuss Epoxy And Trav in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Good evening all! I've been asked to price a bathroom walls and floor in 30x30 travertine with matching mosaics. New walls, pattern to be determined etc. However, in my 20+ years tiling I've never used epoxy with stone, in fact when I think about it, I've not used epoxy in the last 10 years! So advice is needed, not on how to use the product but it's suitability with travertine and any specific brands better than others? Couldn't find a TileMaster epoxy or an Ultra one though I'm sure I've used epoxy manufactured by Ultra previously. Thanks in advance as always.

O

One Day

I like the mapei cq epoxy. Bit softer than kerapoxy. My advice as always, white emulsifying pads and a few sponges on the clean up. Seal and seal properly to make it go well.

Reaction score
last time i got asked for epoxy was.........along time ago! Advice from Impish was spot on. my advice would be to ask why on earth they want epoxy with a porous stone. its not like its a commercial job is it.

Think weber have one, but TM definitely dont @Rich Midge

Reaction score
Ive only used mapei epoxys,but never the cq so can't comment on that one.
Kerapoxy is easy to use and is fine with travertine.

Is it the look of the epoxy that there after?

Else they may as well use a cement based grout and just seal it along with the travertine.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, good honest advice yet again. @Lee@TileTown the last epoxy job I did was a commercial kitchen probably around 2003/4. Standard of modern flexible, mould resistant grouts renders it mostly unnecessary IMO but the customer asked so you've got to look into it! I'll research the products mentioned and price it accordingly.
Much appreciated as always all.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Ive only used mapei epoxys,but never the cq so can't comment on that one.
Kerapoxy is easy to use and is fine with travertine.

Is it the look of the epoxy that there after?

Else they may as well use a cement based grout and just seal it along with the travertine.
No, I think they like that it's impervious. Personally I'd go with seal the trav, grout (most probably TM) then a saturation seal with either DryTreat or Lithofin. But like I've said, they've asked so I thought it only right to look into it.

Reply to Epoxy And Trav in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay