Search the forum,

Discuss Do We Need an Association for Tile Fixers? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
There's much talk around the web about the need for a new association to help with actual tile fixers as the TTA currently appear to not get a good response from existing and new tile fixers.

Just thought I'd start a thread off over this end of the world to see what our views are about the situation.

Some say we need more support for the fixers, some say we need more support for the training side of things, some say they are one and the same, some say they need different associations.

Do you think the TTA is enough? Do we really need more places encouraging us to sign up with them as we walk the floors of the tile related shows in the next coming months/years?

Can we not just help the TTA help the industry as a whole?

I know there's a similar thread active in the Pro's room but I thought that it's too limited for responses as only selected members have access.

Last edited:
C

Concept PHT

The TTA are changing their 'attitude' towards tile fixers and training, to incorporate the bigger picture if tiling, such as basic plumbing, plastering and electrics.

There are a lot of changes 'in the pipeline'... ;)

C

CON5933

I think it boils down to a couple of factors,

The TTA is going to have to evolve or it will be left in the wake of a new association which actively promotes and helps 'across the board'

If you look at how many Trade Unions there were 10 years ago and how many of them have amalgamated to form single units serving a broader scope, thats cos many union members found themselves isolated from different union members they were working alongside because official bodies chose to speak to or deal with one union as opposed to another...

similar to VHS videos and BETAMAX..... the industry had to choose one to go with, it just happened to be VHS.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
What more could they do for us though, we moan saying they don't benefit us, yet we don't tell them what we want, what do we want?

Can they help us?

Would our requests be too much for a tile industry association and need an actual fixers association to govern the movements?

Would you pay if there was a governing?

Do you think the training provided from short courses vouches for a tick in the check box under good training solution? Do we require a more simple solution to the current NVQ system? Who could arrange a better system?

Grrrrrr.

:D

Just food for thought IMO, but it really does reflect on your current position.

Every 'problem' you feel you face could be solved by a good association. e.g. "are there too many tilers now and work is getting slower?"
An working association could make sure that the ratio for quantity of tilers v amount of work would be improved no end right? Through training maybe, through a 'corgi' / 'fensa' like system?. Maybe the format of setting out could be more clear and standard. Maybe there could actually be an association you could pay to join that actually benefit the fixer and gt work from? Maybe there could be an actual logo you 'earn' to place on your van and customers would recognise it.

I see the regulars are avoiding this topic! :mad:

Come on, what's the score?

V

Varley

To be completely honest Dan i don't know a great deal about the tile association as i have only been tiling about 7 months and only on weekends and i think you have to have 2 years experience in the industry before being considered for membership (don't quote me on that). I have only briefly looked over their website, will look into it in more detail tomorrow and give my views then.

I suppose what i have said above could be a problem, If the TTA was to become the fully recognised fixers association, like corgi for gas installers then they may need to review their needing 2 years experience before joining, because if you needed to be in the TTA to be in the tiling industry then how could you get 2 years experience?

As i said above, I really don't know much about the TTA but will investigate further and file my report.

To be continued...

C

Concept PHT

Just to add further comment, the TTA with the CITB are purging towards ousting 'cowboy' training centres and tile fixers too.

This is why you should be getting trained at a recognised accredited centre for an ICA or equivalent, and then heading towards your NVQ. For experienced tilers, they should be heading towards getting their NVQ.

IMO I think it's funny that tilers want the TTA etc to change towards their way of thinking, but tilers won't meet the TTA half way by changing their proffesional attitude and get the NVQ LOL :)

L

Leatherface

I do not like the word "cowboy" when it may possibly refer to myself who does not have any officially recognised qualifications.
A piece of paper will not make me a better tiler.
Unless being a member of an Association has real benefits for myself, I see no point in joining one. I will wait and see what changes and leglislation come into place before I decide which course to take :)

C

Concept PHT

I do not like the word "cowboy" when it may possibly refer to myself who does not have any officially recognised qualifications.
A piece of paper will not make me a better tiler.
Unless being a member of an Association has real benefits for myself, I see no point in joining one. I will wait and see what changes and leglislation come into place before I decide which course to take :)
Neither do I as yet, but as the saying goes 'if the cap fits, wear it'. :)

K

kapitan

ive been tiling nearly 20 yrs now and im bang up to date with all aspects of tilings, adhesives etc and id wipe my *** with a nvq certificate!!

Reply to Do We Need an Association for Tile Fixers? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen