Search the forum,

Discuss Do I need a drainage ditch/gully in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

dedee

TF
Reaction score
Can I ask a question here about drainage where horizontal tiles meet the lawn? Should I dig a gully, line with a geo textile and fill with gravel along the front edge of the terrace where it meets the lawn?
If so how deep and how wide? Should I bring the gravel up level with tiles or slightly lower?
Are there any alternatives?

Many thanks

F92E8671-E438-4C35-B8A8-11B043D263D9.jpeg
164A4AE4-21A7-45AF-BE3D-35F037B2E311.jpeg

O

One Day

I would have tied the Ditra-drain into a drainage profile such as BARA-RT or the like and sent the water somewhere sensible.

O

One Day

South of England I suppose not much rain, but the front edge of that slab will now just soak water up and given a few years and harsh freezes may start to crumble.
I just like to get water away from concrete asap.
Shame that there is Ditra-drain and then a bare edge. Like half right but also half-wrong.

dedee

TF
Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback. I was certainly not wanting to dig a soak away. We are on clay and I had one hellava job digging 100mm diameter holes 800mm deep for greenhouse foundations a year or so back.
Although not visible in the photo, unless you notice the height of the terrace above the ground on the right, there is a natural slope left to right.
Drainage was not a problem on the old terrace which was just tiles on concrete with the grass right up to those horizontal tiles edge. During 10 years I have never noticed pooling on that edge. And those tiles were some of the hardest to removed, none of them came off whole.
I was hoping that a ditch, a spade width by a spade depth, lined and filled with stones/gravel would both please the aesthetic preferences of the missus and provide protection along that edge.
I had read about using a perforated pipe in the ditch but not sure if that has any benefit.
Cheers

Reply to Do I need a drainage ditch/gully in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen