Currently reading:
Closing cuts

Discuss Closing cuts in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spare Tool

Did my first closer ever today, wouldn't even have even known about em if it'd hadn't been for this forum and a slight disagreement with Marc ;)..
Tiles 900, cut from door to corners each side 850, closer above door 820
I'm working for an ex tiler that was a bit dubious about my plan till he saw the result :)
WP_20160714_16_06_47_Pro.jpg

C

Concrete guy

I never used to use these back in the day, however back then 20x20 was considered a "Big" wall tile and anything over 400mm for floors was getting silly.

Look at the pictures in this thread, tiles are getting larger and larger these days and a closer makes more sense than ever if a single tile spans an entire doorway.

As long as the cut edge is tidied up appropriately then I see this kind of necessary these days.

S

Spare Tool

I like it, and would use it.........but how many times do you see a plumb backmould or doorframe?
Architraves were infact plumb, I checked em with my new fangled laser thing :) still doable though if they were out, just a bit more fannying about, first one I've had to do in ten years but will use one again if necessary.
Guy I'm working for really liked the fact they had a name :)

I

Ian

Ok, so how about fake grout lines cut in with the wet saw on a light plunge cut? No no or yeah yeah?!
Did a couple of those yesterday on a wet room envelope, two tiddly little triangles that didn't affect the slope and couldn't really have been moved without compromising the set out, I'll get a pic.

Glasgow
I was taught to always try and avoid closures wherever possible so very rarely use them. For me if a closure is apparent or obvious to an untrained eye then it shouldn't be there but used correctly i can see their merit.
Yes true a closure should only be used whe the untrained eye does not notice but a door is an opening game everybody looks through an opening not above

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Liverpool
Yes true a closure should only be used whe the untrained eye does not notice but a door is an opening game everybody looks through an opening not above
Exactly my point mate, a good closure is one you don't see. As for looking through an opening, true for everyone but us tilers! I always look above a door, closure or not it tends to be where mistakes get lost.

S

Stef

Exactly my point mate, a good closure is one you don't see. As for looking through an opening, true for everyone but us tilers! I always look above a door, closure or not it tends to be where mistakes get lost.
If it's put in for asthetics then it's ok.
I done it on a job above the door, took about 70mm off the tile & polished up the edge, you wouldn't have known it was done unless you used a tape measure.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Liverpool
If it's put in for asthetics then it's ok.
I done it on a job above the door, took about 70mm off the tile & polished up the edge, you wouldn't have known it was done unless you used a tape measure.
Which is exactly how they should be used. Seen some awful use of closures though in days gone by and when tiles were smaller. I remember looking at walls in a chippy all tiled in 6x6 whites, 2 inch closure up the centre of each door. Just lazy tiling.

Reply to Closing cuts in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement