Discuss Chiselled edge travertine laid in french pattern ( grout joints ) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

wetdec

Hi Everyone,
With this kind of travertine being laid in the french pattern, how do you accommodate the smaller square tile in the pattern?
On dry laying the tiles, the smaller square seems to be the one that throws the grout joints out. Am i'm right in saying that the smaller square should be of a slightly different size. If you dry lay them on the floor they with no grout joints they fit perfectly.
Anyone got the solution or will the joints just have to vary?
Many Thanks.

Any stone fixer worth his badge will tell you they are cut smaller for a reason without them smaller it throws your lines everywhere.

If you have a 40x20 and put 2 x 20x20 against the long side you have no grout gap so messes up the pattern.

Each module will have small tiles an equal number of 20x20 & 19x19 (vary depending on pattern) this will then give you the grout line and dictate the spacing for the whole module.

Trick is to sort your small format tiles into 2 piles before you start.

Granted some producers mess it up but its there for a reason and with good trav or stone it works...........:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
P

peegee tips

Wetdecs, can you explain what you mean??

The trav that i've been given doesn't have any slightly smaller, small format tiles. They are all exactly half the width of the next size tile up....& so on.

I take it you mean that some suppliers take the pattern into consideration & make the smaller tile " smaller" at the cutting stage & therefore keeping the grout joints regular?

If im barking up the wrong tree then by all means correct me :2thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Any stone fixer worth his badge will tell you they are cut smaller for a reason without them smaller it throws your lines everywhere.

If you have a 40x20 and put 2 x 20x20 against the long side you have no grout gap so messes up the pattern.

Each module will have small tiles an equal number of 20x20 & 19x19 (vary depending on pattern) this will then give you the grout line and dictate the spacing for the whole module.

Trick is to sort your small format tiles into 2 piles before you start.

Granted some producers mess it up but its there for a reason and with good trav or stone it works...........:thumbsup:

Where's my badge! - Prehaps it got lost in the post.
I think that is what PG tips is trying to explain. The small tiles are all the same size and as you've rightly pointed out it is messing up his pattern.
He must of got them from the same manufacturer that I always seem to get when I purchase this pattern. Funny how they arrive in pre collated sets and yet they still don't fit!
As previously stated a bit of wet saw work is often required.

P

peegee tips

Where's my badge! - Prehaps it got lost in the post.
I think that is what PG tips is trying to explain. The small tiles are all the same size and as you've rightly pointed out it is messing up his pattern.
He must of got them from the same manufacturer that I always seem to get when I purchase this pattern. Funny how they arrive in pre collated sets and yet they still don't fit!
As previously stated a bit of wet saw work is often required.

Yep....you got it.

Oh well....I have 2 options, just a bummer its chiselled edge!

Thanks guys, appreciate your feedback. :thumbsup:

W

wetdec

This explains it showing how you set out Opus pattern (French pattern, Roman pattern) Travertine or stone. If you need to trim small ones then you can see which ones.

Hope it helps :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Attachments

• Opus-pattern-wetdecs.gif
    292.4 KB · Views: 57
W

wetdec

Yep....you got it.

Oh well....I have 2 options, just a bummer its chiselled edge!

Thanks guys, appreciate your feedback. :thumbsup:

You wont notice it with chisle edge as the gradient on the edge will take some grout and make it look ok. You should only need a 6/7mm gap as too wide will make it look wrong................:thumbsup:

P

peegee tips

This explains it showing how you set out Opus pattern (French pattern, Roman pattern) Travertine or stone. If you need to trim small ones then you can see which ones.

Hope it helps :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks wetdec.....this is where the problem is with the stone I have been given to lay......it contains no 190x190....they're all 200x200!!!

I really appreciate the insight though & will be worth baring in mind on future installs.

Bum-mer!!! :thumbsdown:

P

peegee tips

Hang on am i being thick.....!!!!

When these are supplied do they contain 190x190 & 200x200 or are you just showing which ones need trimming & to what size!!!!

W

wetdec

Hang on am i being thick.....!!!!

When these are supplied do they contain 190x190 & 200x200 or are you just showing which ones need trimming & to what size!!!!

True modules are manufactured that size if they are not then its our job to trim them up.

When it first started hitting this country around 16 yrs ago they were cut like that nowadays you will generally find only the good ones are cut that way. Most all of the Jura, Boisvillon,Alitalia, will be cut that way as one of the biggest handlers imports it. Either way seeing the plan and how it should go down will set you up right. Your not thick in fact I would put money on 3/4 of tilers not knowing it they just blame the factories when really its quite simple.............:thumbsup:

Not so much of a bummer you just need to take 6/7mm off 2 sides of half ur 20x20's lots better than trimming everything that looks tight you know what your doing now.

P

peegee tips

True modules are manufactured that size if they are not then its our job to trim them up.
When it first started hitting this country around 16 yrs ago they were cut like that nowadays you will generally find only the good ones are cut that way. Most all of the Jura, Boisvillon,Alitalia, will be cut that way as one of the biggest handlers imports it. Either way seeing the plan and how it should go down will set you up right. Your not thick in fact I would put money on 3/4 of tilers not knowing it they just blame the factories when really its quite simple.............:thumbsup:
Not so much of a bummer you just need to take 6/7mm off 2 sides of half ur 20x20's lots better than trimming everything that looks tight you know what your doing now.
Right, you're gonna love this......
Customer tells me that the stones were 600x400, 400x400, 400x200 & 200x200.
So there I was before all of this trying to get a decent dry lay with the french pattern........
It gets better....the stones are actually, 610x406, 406x406, 406x200 & 200x200.....yep, they need to be laid using a different pattern obviously for these size stones.:furious3:
Would have help if certain facts were correct at the beginning & yes, I should have measured them myself & double checked.....Gonna give myself a punch in the chops....doh!
Oh & no diagram was supplied with the stones either!!!:yikes:

Luckily a tileshowroom ( not a commercial tile showroom! ) near me has all the patterns for all the different layouts at hand, back of the net!!!

W

wetdec

At a guess its antique tuscan or similar

They should be

Module =

4 406x406
2 610x406
2 406x203
2 203x203
2 19.9x19.9

it will give you a 4mm spacing and you lay exactly as above m8

:thumbsup:

W

wetdec

lol 1 metre or 100 its good to get it right and this thread will come in handy now as the question arises quite often.

Lets have a look when its done..................:thumbsup:

Reply to Chiselled edge travertine laid in french pattern ( grout joints ) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks