Search the forum,

Discuss China's Three Gorges Damn Slows Down Earths Rotation! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
China's Monster Three Gorges Dam Is About To Slow The Rotation Of The Earth - Business Insider

Just read up on this on a few sites and it does seem to be true. Due to the displacement of the mass, it has thrown of the centre of gravity of the earth a little and has slowed down the earths rotation by 0.6ms a year. Not much but enough to be measured.

Crazy what us humans can do.

Would it speed back up if we built another one the other side of the earth facing the opposite way?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
They already own it. Americans think they do. But they don't. lol

I think China bought all of America's debt in 2008 so they didn't need to be bailed out by the IMF which is what most of Europe had to do. So basically, Chinese own the Dollar. If I read into it correctly.

W

White Room

There's quite a few interesting bits of reading there not just about the dam....

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I did notice my watch was slightly out by a fraction of a second and wasn't sure what had caused it, cheers for that Dan. :lol:

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
Wondered why the grout wasnt goimg off.
I think the FED holds more than china , they could still upset the cart if they dumped what they do hold, not im their imterest though.

O

One Day

They already own it. Americans think they do. But they don't. lol

I think China bought all of America's debt in 2008 so they didn't need to be bailed out by the IMF which is what most of Europe had to do. So basically, Chinese own the Dollar. If I read into it correctly.

You haven't even begun to scratch the surface!

O

One Day

I love how people believe something is true purely down to the way it's presented!

Reply to China's Three Gorges Damn Slows Down Earths Rotation! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen