Search the forum,

Discuss calibrated green slate in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi all,just finishing my 1st slate job with clibrated green slate,looks good yet i have 2 tiles with slight lippage the slate was the same size but thicknesses were different by 3 to 4 mm on some tiles,ive heard you guys talking bout using a bolster to removes this but can you also do it on calibrated slate?? lippage is minor but i still would be happier if i could remove it?cheers

D

davy_G

Slate should break off along the thin cleavage lines if its decent welsh slate(im a geologist origionally). Likeyhood is its foreign and you are as likely to break it or score the surface you are left with.
If you have a few spare tiles, id try lowering the finished surface first, you really want to hit it close to parallel with the floor surface (and indeed the rocks natural cleavage). If it doesnt turn out as planned remove the grout and lift the tile and replace it with one of the correct thickness, seal and regrout the seal the floor again.

Im sure there will be other suggestions along as well.
Good luck

H

Highlander

Hi Kilty mate,

The calibrated in calibrated is the sizes ie 300 x 300 not in thickness especially in natural stone. If the slate is really dense which normally calibrated slate is, it will be quite hard to bolster of the lippage and what you may end up doing is having chipped edges. Post a couple of pics so we can get an idea of the slate mate. Also you dont say what size the lippage is? 3,4 5 mm?

How did the Cutter preform?

Highlander

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
cutter was good highlander, i thought so ,didnt fancy hittin it with bolster,the customer has mentioned nothing bout it and is happy its just me noticing it,i think in general its a decent job for my 1st go with slate ill try n post a pic

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
managed to load up a pic in my album which is on my profile i think cant manage to get it on ere tho:lol::stupid:

D

DHTiling

This one.......

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 600x450.
kilty55-albums-pics-picture1327-16032007437.jpg

looks a nice job...:thumbsup:

Leave it be...no need to attack that with a bolster..

M

MICK the Tiler

Hi Kilty mate,

The calibrated in calibrated is the sizes ie 300 x 300 not in thickness especially in natural stone. If the slate is really dense which normally calibrated slate is, it will be quite hard to bolster of the lippage and what you may end up doing is having chipped edges. Post a couple of pics so we can get an idea of the slate mate. Also you dont say what size the lippage is? 3,4 5 mm?

How did the Cutter preform?

Highlander

I thought calibrated was thickness and rectified was for size?

Nice slate job by the way, and as Dave has said leave it be no need to hack into it. It is a natural product after all and some variation is normal.

When you grout just point the joints work only a meter at a time and wash and let dry to see how clean you are before moving onto the next section. Take your time here don't risk ruining what looks to be a well fixed natural stone job. :yes::thumbsup:

Reply to calibrated green slate in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen