Search the forum,

Discuss british trades direct in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

bluesky

TF
Arms
Reaction score
got a call today from company called builders trades database (btd).anybody heard of or used them before - they ask for a `admin` fee off £230 and then charge 2.5 % commision of anything over £1000.never liked this sort of thing before but thought i`d better check.
many thanks

M

mikethetile

that sounds a high commision to me

find your own work and have a holiday on what you dont pay them

C

cornish_crofter

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

M

mikethetile

thanks for the advce cr

i get fed up with these firms ringing up, wasting your time and waffling on

i had a guy last year telling me he had twenty kitchen fits lined up could i cope with them, when i said yes he said that was the number of kitchen enquiries they got per annum and if i signed up i could price for them............yeh right

what i do now is tell them im interested and can they ring back as im in the middle of something

i do this for weeks on end untill they catch me when im relaxing with a pint and then i really string them along untill they ask for the card details then i say sorry but im not paying up front, you get me the work and ill pay you when i get paid for the job

its at this point that they tend to lose it one guy became really abusive and i had a woman turn up on the doorstep to get me to sign for one of those card boards at homebase, she was fed up with me stalling, she was even more fed up when i sent her packing

C

cornish_crofter

If they don't take NO for an answer within a reasonable time, about 3 seconds in my book then these muppets are fair game;

You are perfectly entitled to:

String them along, wasting their time and having a good laugh at their expense, as in the above example.
Go around their house and pester them and try to sell them your skills - oh, wait, your skills are actually worth what you're charging, their 'product' isn't, so that wouldn't be fair.
Pass on the details of the last muppet who tried to flog you stuff, then you get one muppet trying to sell to the next, I'd love to see that one!
Just say the 'Boss' isn't in at the moment, and could they phone at 9.00 am when your mobile will actually be switched off.
Ask them to phone the purchasing manager but give them a premium rate number - there are some that start with 07, so that would catch out 90% of muppets. Actually you can take out premium rate numbers and reap the benefits that way. Have a good laugh and make a killing at the same time! Forget tiling, just make a living at 50p a minute whilst people try to sell you stuff you don't need, I like that one! Although I say it myself that is genious!
Try to get them involved in a dodgy pyramid marketing scam. Let's face it if they are gullable enough to be convinced that what they are selling is of any worth, and more so to think that people will fall for it, then they will probably fall for that one as well.
Ask them if they would like to invest with Madoff Securities.
Ask if they will take Woolworth vouchers in payment.

Or, my personal favourite, establish who they are before you give your name, then ask them to call you back. Repeat this process as many times as you wish next time they call to suit you and your twisted mind, trailing the bait as needed. Explain that there is a marketing budget and their product sounds interesting but you have to discuss it with the CEO before the next board meeting. The beauty of this trick is that it diverts their attention from people who don't have the time to speak to them.

L

LM Ceramics

not this again luckily i havent been cold called for a while rip off merchants stay well clear

Reply to british trades direct in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen