Search the forum,

Discuss Bath Panel: External Wood Board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

leblanc

I needed 15mm ply to frame the front of my bath ready for tiling. My only source was B&Q but they did not have 15mm.
Instead I used 15mm external wood board. It looks like large wood shavings and slivers of wood compressed. It is abbreviated as OSB board on the receipt.
The B&Q section manager said it would be ok for using on the front of the bath, but that I should paint the rear, and the cut edges with any type of paint, to prevent water penetration. I used two coats of emulsion.
He also said that the front part of the panel would be waterproofed with the tiling adhesive.
Does this sound kosher? I have created a surrounding frame for the bath and tiles will project out horizontally for about 60mm. I was concerned about water penetration into the wood frame and ply ledge, so coated them with Evostick waterproof PVA. Having now read the section on PVA problems should I wirebrush it off and recoat with a primer, or would the waterproof tile adhesive be sufficient to prevent water penetration into the horizontal frame?
Thanks

T

tiler tom

Considering that this is a bath panel and only in minor contact with water I consider that to adhere a tile to it and grout will be sufficient to prevent water pentration. Use a water resistant adhesive.

L

leblanc

Thanks for your reply.
There are areas of horizontal tiling around the edge of the bath, ie a wide ledge at the non tap end, and a 60mm ledge tiled down one side.
So does your advice still stand?

G

GazTech

Thanks for your reply.
There are areas of horizontal tiling around the edge of the bath, ie a wide ledge at the non tap end, and a 60mm ledge tiled down one side.
So does your advice still stand?
Any ledges or shelves exposed would be better constructed with Backer board.....Gaz

HardieBacker™ Cement Board

MOLDBLOCK TECHNOLOGY

HardieBacker™ Cement Board with Moldblock™ Technology delivers superior protection against mold.

G2 TECHNOLOGY

G2 Technology offers something traditional glass mesh boards can't— a cement composition with unmatched performance combined with superior workability.

EZ GRID® TECHNOLOGY

Hardiebacker EZ Grid board provides a lighter, stronger, and easier-to-install alternative.
Are you remodeling your bathroom or kitchen? If so, chances are you'll need a moisture and mold resistant substitute for drywall, or a backerboard for your tile applications. You can trust HardieBacker™ Cement Board as your solution for wet area floors, walls, ceilings, and countertops because your home is your most important investment. Although no system is mold proof, HardieBacker™ board with exclusive Moldblock™ Technology delivers the ultimate in mold resistance, passing both industry mold tests with a perfect score. Whether you're hiring an installer to do remodeling work or buying a new home, be sure to ask for HardieBacker™ board by name. There are a number of alternatives on the market, but only HardieBacker™ board provides the greatest flexural and compressive strength available, while offering Moldblock Technology. You can rest assured that when choosing HardieBacker™ board, you’re taking a proactive role in preventing mold growth and moisture damage before it starts.
HardieBacker™ 1/4'' Cement Board

HardieBacker™ 1/4'' Cement Board, for floors and countertops is America´s best selling 1/4'' board. It's the solution you can trust for your wet area floors, walls, ceilings, and countertops. This no-mesh board is the lightest cement board available and cuts easily, even in tight, awkward spaces.

HardieBacker™ 1/2'' Cement Board

HardieBacker™ 1/2'' Cement Board for walls and floors delivers superior protection against moisture damage and mold growth. Its smooth surface may be painted, textured, wallpapered, or tiled. ......................hope this helps....Gaz

[DLMURL="http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/green.shtml"]
[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

O.S.B. is not a suitable background to tile too....It is not stable enough for tiling....I would replace with backer boards ( aqua panel )......

Reply to Bath Panel: External Wood Board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen