Currently reading:
B Q 600mm Porcelain censorship

Discuss B Q 600mm Porcelain censorship in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 1779

Actually Ajax you do have a valid issue. Why should the retailer have to explain how to use a product?

If they had to do that for every product then there would be a lot of leaflets.

My personal view is that B&Q market themselves to the DIY market (although 40% of their turnover is actually trade!) and so you would hope they would consider the DIY customer who is looking at products that are value for money and go that extra mile.

I guess its the old latin saying about "Buyer Beware"

I think there are actually figures banded about where they can prove the cockups made by DIY that they could have saved had they used a pro is huge.

There you go.

B

brucey123

I mystery shopped B Q today and they are still telling customers that they need to seal the tiles before they do anything. The funny thing is that they are using a display that they fitted to show what happens when you grout before sealing!:mad2: Judging by the number of mentions these tiles get on the forum a lot of poeple have tiles fitted with wax still on them.
B Q recommend heavy duty tile cleaner to remove the wax but I dont think it works, any suggestions?
Bruce

B

brucey123

Perhaps I am being a bit thick but I really cannot see the issue here. Why should the guys in B&Q need to know that the tiles are wax coated. This (from what I have read in the forums) is pretty standard so if people are buying them they ought to do the research on using them first surely. If you don't have the expertise or the product knowledge to do the job peraps you should be employing a competent tradesman who will have that expertise. Perhaps it's just me being snippy.

The issue is that they only sell one tile which has a wax coat and the staff are denying it. The instructions are non existant but are now being updated in small writing on the new packs of 400 x 400. I have already laid white porcelain and travertine using the instructions with a super result. I may not be a pro tiler but as a property developer and motor trade director I have specified several thousand m2 for showrooms and not one was coated in wax.
Bruce

T

tkm18

I mystery shopped B Q today and they are still telling customers that they need to seal the tiles before they do anything. The funny thing is that they are using a display that they fitted to show what happens when you grout before sealing!:mad2: Judging by the number of mentions these tiles get on the forum a lot of poeple have tiles fitted with wax still on them.
B Q recommend heavy duty tile cleaner to remove the wax but I dont think it works, any suggestions?
Bruce

A trick that works on removing some types of the wax is to lay, but not wash or get them wet.

When its finished, get a bg of grout, i was shown white, not sure colour is relevent, spread it over the tile and 'rub it into' the tiles.

Seems to remove the wax.

Sounds bizzare, but works.

Clean the joint out and procede as normal.

T

tkm18

You would think B&Q would have a large shelf filled with bottles of the dewaxing solution set up next to their tile ranges. And a sign on the tiles saying "use this product ahead of fitting".

By combination selling they would make more money - and help their customers!

They do with the sealer, but i think its usual crazy B&Q prices, 30 odd pound for a small bottle.

B

brucey123

Hi All
I finally won my case against B&Q in the small claims court! I have now found out what takes the wax off, floor cleaning cream! Just put it on neat and rub until shiny then polish off. Do not seal it first. By the way they look amazing when cleaned.
I need help with the same floor as i could not grout it while in dispute. a few of the the tiles have blown and have a hollow noise when tapped is there an easy way to secure them without lifting or will they tighten up with the grout(7mm)?
Any help appreciated.
Bruce

B

brucey123

The staff were asked directly about the wax which they denied. I sealed the tiles as per their instructions and effectively sealed the wax into the top layer. This is why other posters complain about staining of these as they remain greasy. I have had to spend hours rectifying this and could not finish of our kitchen. Hopefully if others read this they will save hours and get a better result. They do look really good when cleaned.
Regards
Bruce :mad2:

S

Scott

Customer service everywhere has been appalling through the last few'good' years. Lets hope with the recession people and companies will now start to pay more attention to the customer again.

Good luck with your tiles Bruce, i hope you get something out of them. HAve you suggested that they reiburse ou in some way for the effort in cleaning them? A few years ago i had some faulty products and suggested that they reimburse me and i got some vouchers for my efforts, albeit B&Q vouchers to buy more stuff they were knowledgeable about!

Reply to B Q 600mm Porcelain censorship in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are porcelain. I’ve just got to the end of my bag of Mapei flexible rapid set tile adhesive (powdered)...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.