Search the forum,

Discuss Advice Please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bill

I have done work for insurance construction firms....the pay can be good - the wait for money can be a month or so but it is work. It ranged from a splashback to whole rooms. It all depends on if you get a good firm and they offer you other work too.

Do some homework with he construction company as some folk on here have never worked with a construction company yet they give you advice?.....

M

MW Smith Ceramics

I have done work for insurance construction firms....the pay can be good - the wait for money can be a month or so but it is work. It ranged from a splashback to whole rooms. It all depends on if you get a good firm and they offer you other work too.

Do some homework with he construction company as some folk on here have never worked with a construction company yet they give you advice?.....

I just would not wait that length of time for payment......end ov

M

MW Smith Ceramics

& tgats if you ever get it!

T

Time's Ran Out

It's about being professional!
No point calling them crooks because they have payment systems in place to ensure that accounts departments can handle all the smaller everyday invoices.
If your not geared up to support yourself for monthly payments then stay within your limits and don't try and put the contractor under your terms and conditions unless in writing on your estimate at the outset.
If you ask for payment up front on this type of work - who looks like the cowboy!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
In my experience your or there terms and conditions on payment mean nothing.
They will pay you when they want to or when they need you again.
Most of them are your best friend on Monday when you start the job and don't answer the phone on Friday when you finish.
And I've worked for loads of contractors.
The good ones I continue to work for (not that many) the bad ones don't get a look in and most new contract firms I don't even bother with unless there a small contractor working from a home address where I know I can get hold of them..

S

Spare Tool

Just out of interest and this comment by no means directed at any of above posts..
How many tilers on here have actually been shafted and not got paid eventually, (by contractor or private customers)
I for one in nearly 10 years have only ever once been rolled over and lost £200 out of a £1200 invoice and incidentally that was a private customer(long story) I've never not got paid off a contractor, long as you know where you stand before you start, have found all of the ones I've worked for would hate to be labelled 'bad payers'.
Who knows first job might be a Splashback, BUT next one might be a 500m floor :)

M

MW Smith Ceramics

It's about being professional!
No point calling them crooks because they have payment systems in place to ensure that accounts departments can handle all the smaller everyday invoices.
If your not geared up to support yourself for monthly payments then stay within your limits and don't try and put the contractor under your terms and conditions unless in writing on your estimate at the outset.
If you ask for payment up front on this type of work - who looks like the cowboy!

That's exactly what I do TJ.........& I ain't no cowboy mate......i have a long line of happy customers and a good reputation.......I guarantee all of my work and customer satisfaction is priority........I'm just sayin that you gotta be careful, I've been messed about in the past by construction companies and a couple of domestic clients and I am very careful with who I work for as there are plenty of crooks out there...........

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just out of interest and this comment by no means directed at any of above posts..
How many tilers on here have actually been shafted and not got paid eventually, (by contractor or private customers)
I for one in nearly 10 years have only ever once been rolled over and lost £200 out of a £1200 invoice and incidentally that was a private customer(long story) I've never not got paid off a contractor, long as you know where you stand before you start, have found all of the ones I've worked for would hate to be labelled 'bad payers'.
Who knows first job might be a Splashback, BUT next one might be a 500m floor :)
I here what your saying and I'm the same only been shafted once by a charity of all things and most do pay.......eventually!! But that's the point I don't want to waste my time or go through the stress of chasing money.
How many times have you actually been paid when they say there going to pay Without having to prompt them for payment?.
I've even had firms that only pay when you threaten legal action after months of broken promises.....

Reply to Advice Please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen