Search the forum,

Discuss A contractor you may wish to avoid in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Peter

Trainor contracts from NI? Never dealt with them but seen one of their vans working near me yesterday. Always looked quite reputable.

Reaction score
Thats what i thought wingn. Im not saying he does a crap job for 1 min. Im just warning lads that may have the oppertunity to work him to be cautious because if he,s mugged 2 lads off.... hes capable of doing it again and its morally wrong

S

Spud

has he refused to pay you or just said he is unable to pay you at the moment?i pay my guys weekly but last month they had to wait nearly 3 weeks as i had a contractor mess me around for money, not on I know, but sometimes cashflow is a killer especially on the bigger jobs

A

aphilp

Hi and welcome

Have you threatened Court proceedings in writing?

Send him a 7 day warning letter.

Best Wishes

Anne

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
This almost sounds libellous... 5weeks ( only three weeks late) is b all in the general scheme .. I deal with guys who end up waiting three and four months or more for their money. There is presumably a reason why you were delayed payment and also presumably why it was short but you on seem to have balanced your argument. Was he delayed payment, is there a contract retention etc etc... Just to cut the guy off short saying he is bad news without more act is wrong in my opinion. This is contracting work, not domestic where you get a cheque. Cash on completion.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
This almost sounds libellous... 5weeks ( only three weeks late) is b all in the general scheme .. I deal with guys who end up waiting three and four months or more for their money. There is presumably a reason why you were delayed payment and also presumably why it was short but you on seem to have balanced your argument. Was he delayed payment, is there a contract retention etc etc... Just to cut the guy off short saying he is bad news without more act is wrong in my opinion. This is contracting work, not domestic where you get a cheque. Cash on completion.

couldn't disagree more alan, typical reply from someone who gets a weekly/monthly pay check, if someone says to me you will be paid in 14 days then i expect it in 14 days, or a phone call to explain why not....

why should he have to wait 5 weeks, we have bills to pay to, and to pay it short is taking the pee..

P

Peter

Suppose if he doesn't get paid himself then he can't physically pay out. Done a big floor for a builder in August and only got the last few quid off it in October. Usually pays me on the Friday but was held back 30 grand so not really much he could do. Hard for contractors to keep cash flow moving when theyre promised the money next Wednesday but the bank won't give them an overdraft to pay wages. Meanwhile the same bank hits you with direct debit charges because they wouldn't lend your employer the money to pay you. Viscious circle.

Reaction score
couldn't disagree more alan, typical reply from someone who gets a weekly/monthly pay check, if someone says to me you will be paid in 14 days then i expect it in 14 days, or a phone call to explain why not....

why should he have to wait 5 weeks, we have bills to pay to, and to pay it short is taking the pee..

I agree, The agreement was 2 weeks... his words, not mine.

I work with another 2 contractors 1 who pays a week in hand every other week without fail and the other who pays via faster payments the day after you've completed the job. Its these kind of good contractors who appreciate what you do for them and in return you want to go that extra mile for them.

If I was the main contractor, I would take into consideration the 30 day plus invoicing and any retention that may be held back but the fact of the matter is im not. I dont get paid to deal with the logistics and wait around for payments and sorry to be blunt but if anyone's financial situation is making it difficult to pay the lads who are keeping them in there Mercedes then they shouldn't be punching above there weight and messing people around. As Andy said, we've got bills to pay aswell.

Only received 3 payment in the short time I worked with him but every time the payment was short, and then the final blow.. he just keeps a few hundred. Hes just a snake.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
In contrast I got a call earlier from the company i was working for last week telling me to get my invoice over tonight as they are doing their payment run tmrw and wanted to make sure I didn't have to wait an extra week to get paid!

I also walked away from another contractor who had given me loads of work this year but stitched me up for £150. Out of principal I won't work for a anyone who try's to short change me.

Reaction score
In contrast I got a call earlier from the company i was working for last week telling me to get my invoice over tonight as they are doing their payment run tmrw and wanted to make sure I didn't have to wait an extra week to get paid!

I also walked away from another contractor who had given me loads of work this year but stitched me up for £150. Out of principal I won't work for a anyone who try's to short change me.

Exactly Pete... £150? that's a night on the tiles... lol... had to get that 1 inn :)

Reply to A contractor you may wish to avoid in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen