Search the forum,

Discuss 80 x 80 porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

I laid a 15m2 floor this week using a 80cm x 80cm porclian tile which was 16mm thick ,first and foremost the material was a nightmare to cut and I was let down by my tx1200n and a broke 4 cuts to every one it cut so I had to wet cut everything ,grinder cutting was problematic with these tiles pinging due to the vibration of the grinder even though I had a top class blade , very hard material
Next problem was the fixing of the tile as the substrate wasnt perfectly flat,I used a golf ball trowel and back buttered the tiles but ended up having to lift every tile to apply more adhesive to achieve a flat floor with full coverage to the back of the tile, with such a large tile there is an incredible amount of suction from the adhesive when trying to lift the tile off the wet adhesive bed and I found my self using a brickies trowel instead of the tile setting trowel I would usually use which gave me the leverage to lift the tile from the bed ,so to sum up when using these tiles I would recommend ensuring a very good substrate flatness wise and having a decent wet cutter which can take this size tile

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Scott

Is that guy on the pic really really small or is that stop tap and pipe really really large?

D

davy_G

They are big Gary! Nice job though, hope you did well out of it, 800's x16mm, heavy?

S

Spud

Is that guy on the pic really really small or is that stop tap and pipe really really large?
he is 6ft 2" ,its a plant room for a massive house and that is the water main into the building, top spec house putting £80 m2 tiles on the floor in there :thumbsup:

T

trevortine

As mike said really nice job around drains m8! I had similar probs with 1200x600 porcelain, nearly every tile had to be built up to keep floor flowing without lippage, used the sucker and bucket trowel to prise them up.

Reply to 80 x 80 porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen