Search the forum,

Discuss 1st Anhydrite screed ? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Aspect Tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Been to see the job this morning. Not much to add really from my original post. Not ready to tile until start of July so any drying concerns are reduced now. In terms of adhesive, Anhyfix seems to be the best bet (would prefer a slower set but sure I'll manage). As I mentioned before the floor was laid in 2 separate rooms with a wall removed later. Despite their best efforts to get both rooms level there is now a 3mm height difference from where the wall has been removed. Thinking of feathering this out with adhesive or using Anhylevel which I think may be the best bet.

Again I mentioned to the customer that the floor will need sanding (low laitance) before priming but he has supposedly been told by a Lafarge chap that visited the site recently that a good clean/vac and it's good to go. He also supplied the customer with a gallon of primer, the make of which I'm yet to confirm. This is the only area that now concerns me but I've got a fair bit of time to get it sorted.

Once again thanks for your help.

Pete

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Been to see the job this morning. Not much to add really from my original post. Not ready to tile until start of July so any drying concerns are reduced now. In terms of adhesive, Anhyfix seems to be the best bet (would prefer a slower set but sure I'll manage). As I mentioned before the floor was laid in 2 separate rooms with a wall removed later. Despite their best efforts to get both rooms level there is now a 3mm height difference from where the wall has been removed. Thinking of feathering this out with adhesive or using Anhylevel which I think may be the best bet.

Again I mentioned to the customer that the floor will need sanding (low laitance) before priming but he has supposedly been told by a Lafarge chap that visited the site recently that a good clean/vac and it's good to go. He also supplied the customer with a gallon of primer, the make of which I'm yet to confirm. This is the only area that now concerns me but I've got a fair bit of time to get it sorted.

Once again thanks for your help.

Pete

you are the floor layer, not the "lafarge chap" whichever that may be and not the client. The lafarge Chap is possibly an expert in the supply of liquid screed (or possibly not). He is most definitely not going to be an expert in tiling and sub floor preparation. Now then... If the floor fails and you have not prepared it in the manner recommended not only by your adhesive supplier, but by your entire trade association, and the tiling fails for what ever reason, be it prep, moisture, adhesive failure or whatever, do you really think the "Lafarge chap" will stand side by side with you to defend the failure. If you get the adhesive rep on site and he says "did you sand the screed" do you think he is going to stand by your side when you tell him no. I would be unable to offer you a defence were you to go ahead without preparing the screed in the correct manner. If it fails it will end up costing you and your reputation and you won't see the Lafarge chap for dust...

The "Lafarge chap is wrong, plain and simple. ALL SCREEDS AND CONCRETEs SHOULD BE MECHANICALLY ABRADED PRIOR TO THE APPLICATION OF BONDED FLOOR COVERINGS INCLUDING, TILES, VINYLS, WOOD FLOORS, RESINS AND LEVELLING COMPOUNDS. This requirement is set out in the tiling associations guide to tiling to anhydrite screeds

If you go ahead and ignore the sensible advice given by your own trade body and your adhesive supplier then, whilst I mean no offence, you deserve all the pain it creates for you... Sorry but there it is.

J

jonnyc

Alan sorry to butt in on this thread , but interesting.
i spoke to you the other day about an anhydriite screed I am due to lay on next week.
i sent the the contractor two f.ball hygrometer units and they are reading 92 rh.
i was surprised by this a s I had been informed the screed had been heated for a month but I now find today that the boiler not in and it is just hooked up to a small heater I think .
do you know a company that can supply and install a temporary heat to get this floor dry by Tuesday.
job is in Norfolk and a very prestigious job and delay would have big implications .
any help would be much appreciated .
i don't think if present system in place reading will get down to acceptable in next five days.

J

jonnyc

Ajax (Alan) is your man for this.
If he sees this then he will prob give you the advice but as far as I know all gypsum based screeds have a laitance on the surface that needs removed.
As for adhesive I've only used TileMaster AnhyFix & it's a fantastic product..
my current spec for any anhydriite is.
tilemaster plus primer . Fix ditra with tilemaster anhyfix and then fix stone or porcelain with setaflex.
i finally feel comfortable on anhydriite using this system provided screed dry as perrecommendations.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Alan sorry to butt in on this thread , but interesting.
i spoke to you the other day about an anhydriite screed I am due to lay on next week.
i sent the the contractor two f.ball hygrometer units and they are reading 92 rh.
i was surprised by this a s I had been informed the screed had been heated for a month but I now find today that the boiler not in and it is just hooked up to a small heater I think .
do you know a company that can supply and install a temporary heat to get this floor dry by Tuesday.
job is in Norfolk and a very prestigious job and delay would have big implications .
any help would be much appreciated .
i don't think if present system in place reading will get down to acceptable in next five days.

try these guys http://www.forcedry.co.uk

Reply to 1st Anhydrite screed ? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen