Search the forum,

Discuss 1mm joint madness in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pebbs

I know Sean wrote about this last week, and I have my own opinion about this stupidity, that is now in fashion. Its like a epidemic upon us, the clients have all got 1mm mind madness, and its got to be stopped or someone will get hurt. Today I had an idiot surveyor on the phone wanting a toilet fit out with the dirty rotten jointing detail. On fast moving fit out contracts, when your fighting with the plumbers, the last thing you need is this additional headache. With this in mind I have ramped an additional over onto all m2 rates. You have to fight fire with fire.....now pass me the akimi....

Lynn

U

user123

Thanks Scottley :) So what's wrong with that? Why would someone get hurt, Pebbs? Sorry, don't get it, in mosaics you work with really small joints all the time, so don't see the big issue? If you choose suitable grout...?

H

hillhead

I tiled a polished marble bathroom a couple of years ago with 1mm joints and said never again! Wasn't rectified so I had the extra cutting to size them so fair play Lynn for upping the rates.
1mm is not enough IMO for any small movements etc, looks nice though.

R

Rob Z

This is one of the things that drives me crazy. The designers and the sales people are pushing 1/16" and even 1/32" joints, and they JUST CAN'T GET IT THROUGH THEIR HEADS that this won't work on tile that has variation in the lengths of the sides.

Even when I show these knuckleheads two or three or four tiles, pulled at random and laid alongside each other, that the tiles are not the same dimension and the variation is more than 1/32" or 1/16", they still just say "but we want tight joints on this installation."

I say "did you not just see what I showed you with the tile we lined up?"

They say "but they're rectified, the manufacturer says so".

:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

GGRRRRRRR!!

U

user123

Aah, thanks Rob, I'm starting to understand the point...duh, yes makes sense...not an easy with my hand cut mosaics, see?

P

Pebbs

This is one of the things that drives me crazy. The designers and the sales people are pushing 1/16" and even 1/32" joints, and they JUST CAN'T GET IT THROUGH THEIR HEADS that this won't work on tile that has variation in the lengths of the sides.

Even when I show these knuckleheads two or three or four tiles, pulled at random and laid alongside each other, that the tiles are not the same dimension and the variation is more than 1/32" or 1/16", they still just say "but we want tight joints on this installation."

I say "did you not just see what I showed you with the tile we lined up?"

They say "but they're rectified, the manufacturer says so".

:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

GGRRRRRRR!!

Knuckleheads...I love that word, we live in an age where they see it on the tv and want it. When the material is the size its supposed to be, we wont have a problem, but until then...Houston we have a problem!

Lynn

U

user123

Knuckleheads...I love that word, we live in an age where they see it on the tv and want it. When the material is the size its supposed to be, we wont have a problem, but until then...Houston we have a problem!

Lynn

I can see a bright future for mosaics..,:lol: all these smashed up tiles in frustration... :lol:

Reply to 1mm joint madness in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen