Discuss 123 Year Old Johnson Tiles Factory to Close Down Causing 110 Job Losses | from the Tile Blog in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com.

123 Year Old Johnson Tiles Factory to Close Down Causing 110 Job Losses

123 Year Old Johnson Tiles Factory to Close Down Causing 110 Job Losses in Stoke On Trent’s Once Thriving Ceramics and Pottery Industries In the heart of one of Stoke on Trent’s 5 Towns, Tunstall, lies Johnson-Tiles. The designer, manufacturer and supplier of high-end ceramic and porcelain tile. Established in 1901 Johnson Tiles are one […]

The post 123 Year Old Johnson Tiles Factory to Close Down Causing 110 Job Losses appeared first on TilersForums.com Blog.

Continue reading...

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
This is gutting news. They'll be importing still by the sounds of it. Perhaps rebranding stuff.

Reaction score
123 Year Old Johnson Tiles Factory to Close Down Causing 110 Job Losses

123 Year Old Johnson Tiles Factory to Close Down Causing 110 Job Losses in Stoke On Trent’s Once Thriving Ceramics and Pottery Industries In the heart of one of Stoke on Trent’s 5 Towns, Tunstall, lies Johnson-Tiles. The designer, manufacturer and supplier of high-end ceramic and porcelain tile. Established in 1901 Johnson Tiles are one […]

The post 123 Year Old Johnson Tiles Factory to Close Down Causing 110 Job Losses appeared first on TilersForums.com Blog.

Continue reading...
Sad news that another British manufacturer bites the dust with job losses, but I have to say that in my experience, the quality of their ceramic tiles is sketchy:

I’ve been asked to fix exactly the same tile for 2 different customers 2 years apart. One set were fine, the other set were bowed and out-of-square 300 x150 mm shockers!

Generally, I’ve found that their tiles were below average often with glazing issues (blebs)

Maybe if they had concentrated more on quality control of their products like the Italians do, this wouldn’t have happened?

So, although I have sympathy for the company and it’s employees, I’m afraid that I won’t miss their tiles at all.

Last edited:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I think their floor tiles were already being imported.

Their 100x100mm tiles were always popular they were pretty good. Or were they pilkingtons- blue boxes of 25.

British Ceramic Tile (or BCT Tiles) also stopped manufacturing in their own factories years ago. Are they still a tile you see? Or did they fizzle out?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I think their floor tiles were already being imported.

Their 100x100mm tiles were always popular they were pretty good. Or were they pilkingtons- blue boxes of 25.

British Ceramic Tile (or BCT Tiles) also stopped manufacturing in their own factories years ago. Are they still a tile you see? Or did they fizzle out?
BCT were garbage. Worst tiles i have ever installed. Pleased they went pop.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Theirs were always bowed too right? And not matching sizes in the same batch if I remember rightly.

Bowing is them cooling too quick usually. Moisture is involved but its mainly them cooling apparently.

TimelessJohn

Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
In 1973 when I was a lad…….
Quality was ok and white biscuit tiles that you could hold in one hand meant plenty of yardage in a day!
Then the Italians and Spanish took over with vibrant colours, designs and unglazed square red biscuit tiles that needed matchsticks to keep a grout line. Holiday makers returned with ideas of continental ideas, larger format 8x 6 inches in real measurements, and mitred edges…. those were the days !!
No doubt the start of the decline in English manufacturing as the imported tiles improved in quality the UK industry lost all its standards (IMHO).
It was only a question of time before the demise happened and I can’t remember using any Johnson’s tiles in the last 20 years if not longer!
Shame it couldn’t have been sold off to a foreign distributor like the water and power resources!

Reply to 123 Year Old Johnson Tiles Factory to Close Down Causing 110 Job Losses | from the Tile Blog in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22