Search the forum,

Discuss Your mobile phone numbers - please read.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

Hi guys & gals..

Just in case you are not aware or have forgotten to do it - your mobile phone numbers will become public property along with your name from early next week. This will leave you open to cold calling, etc. and anyone will have access to your number.

In the event that you wish to 'unsubscribe' and withhold your number see copy of e-mail from below:-

Maybe you have heard about this but early next week all UK mobiles will be on a directory which will mean that anyone will be able to access the numbers. It is easy to unsubscribe but it must be done before the beginning of next week to make sure that you are ex directory. I have unsubscribed and you may want to suggest it to all your friends and family who have UK mobiles or they could be swamped by unsolicited messages and calls. Removal is recommended by the BBC - see link below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/8091621.stm

The Directory of Mobile Phone numbers goes live next week.
All numbers including those belonging to children will be open to cold calling and the general abuse that less scrupulous telesales people subject us too.

To remove your number go here. (you need your mobile phone with you to do this, they text you a code)

http://www.118800.co.uk/removeme/remove-me.html

When on the site, click "Home" then "Ex-directory" this will remove you from the directory.

You can remove your number from this list, and tell all your friends
no one agreed to this when we signed our mobile phone contracts.

:thumbsup:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Website not running at the moment but will be up and running again tommorrow according to tinternet

D

Daz

I've heard quite a lot about this service and my thoughts are:

1. I have my mobile number on 3 sides of my van
2. I have my business cards distributed all over the place with my mobile number on them
3. I have caller display on my mobile, so can "vet" what calls I choose to accept

But most importantly, if anyone uses that service to contact me, I will have the option to decline the call or send it straight to voicemail.

I currently get a lot of cold calls from businesses that have attained my info from websites, such as "findtrustedtradesmen" and others, so I'm really not that bothered if yet another directory wants to list me.

At the end of the day, you can just hang up or refuse to answer, so no big deal as far as I'm concerned.

U

user123

Register your number with the TPS...cold calling is still illegal in the uk..:thumbsup:

True Dave :thumbsup:, but for me it's a case of bolted horses and gates and all that....As I use my mobile mainly for strictly personal use (which means those who have the number are chosen to have it and everytime it rings it's likely to be someone nice :) I don't want to be on any register at all..cold calling may still be illegal, and our phone number is registered withe TPS, but you tell that to the umpteen callers from some Indian call centres, or this morning, from the local HSBC branch I don't even bank with! Welcome phonecalls are great, but unwelcome ones..uurrgghh ...brain pollution...

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Although international calls can not be reported to TPS , uk calls can and should be reported..if you get a uk cold call then take thier name and company name before going ahead witht he telephone convo then say no and report them..international callers then just hangup..

U

user123

I'd rather not have the hassle in the first place...see above...I like mental sparring... are we having a sparring session? :lol:

Reply to Your mobile phone numbers - please read.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen