Search the forum,

Discuss Vicky Geometric in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Alberta Stone

I just did a front entrance insert yesterday 12x12 diagonal inset into walnut 3/4 inch plank
The area which they had framed for the insert had not been gauged according to the tile so it was impossible to start on a half tile and thus make it look proper 7 inchs shorter and 8 inchs less wide and it would have been perfect.
But it was already framed and could not be changed so lots of cutting smallish triangles around the entire frame.
Some areas do not work well for the pattern.
In this case the thin black accent strips would have had to be a different thickness or the red diamonds .
They are a different scale and so do not seem to match the inset well for size.
Nice work though.

T

trev

pj & sir. everything is square and the border is symetrical. the pic does not look its best crunched down so much with this pattern and colour. however, the client was very happy and i had numerous passers by comment and ask for my card. working outside for all to see can be very daunting so has to be right.:thumbsup:

Thanks

T

The D

I am sorry I don’t mean to be rude but the red diamonds that over lap on the border are not symmetrical the one at the closest end is in the centre but the one at the other end is totally different and the ones on the sides do not match ether also the one where the floor dog legs is not in the centre. But other than that and the fact you have split the L cuts it looks ok.

T

trev

you will find that each individual legngth of border has the diamonds over lapping in their own centre.:whatchutalkingabout:huh2: with vicky there is artistic licensce as no floor would be the same as people choose different patters (or make their own) and borders. i decide with the client which they like. I enjoy it and thought i would show it. If you have laid vicky you would (should) know how it works. im up for critiques but only when justified.
thanks for all your input, it's been very positive. i must remember to put more pics of my work on this friendly tilers site!!!!!:huh2::mad2::furious3::furious3::furious3:

T

The D

I apologise if I have upset you it is just an observation. If I had don the job I would be just as critical as that is how I improve my work. It is personal preference but to me rather than each length being set out individually to the centre I would have made them all match. As it is because of the shape of the floor the closure tiles look a little of balance. :thumbsup:

T

trev

if i put the ones at both ends the same it would look very odd and off centre (which is what it would be) look at the number of diamonds left and the number right, they are the same, then we have the centre. if i matched it with the length at the top it would not be centre on its own line. once the client has the gate fitted i'm pretty sure EVERYONE who passes or visits would say 'that diamond is not centre':wazzzup:

H

Highlander

Can you tell me when it starts? How Long is it? How Much? Please because I am in Scotland in early January and if it works out well with dates i could call in on the way back down from Dornoch to do it. Thanks

Kev

Hey Kev what u doing in Dornoch its only 11 miles from me.

Gary

S

Spud

with regard to the overlapping red diamond closing in the centre i look at these geomatric floors all the time and the original ones dont seem to have this , extra border strips can be used to gain the module size to enable the full diamond and reduce the perimeter black cut to the outside edges if you are interseted in this type of work check out "the victorian society " they are based in chiswick in london and have guides for the restoration of these types of floors

Reply to Vicky Geometric in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen