Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Van off the road in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Left work the other night and my power steering had failed. Could see the fluid trickling out the pump so drove it straight to my local garage and posted key through the letterbox with a note.

The pump had basically exploded and I have just had a call to say that they have just fitted a new one and it too exploded after 100 yards.
So there is no pressure getting to the pump so likely will turn out to be the steering rack.

My question is, where do I stand with regards to the final bill - will I be expected to foot the bill for both pumps and labour?

D

Deleted member 9966

did they ring you to say it needed a new pump (2nd pump) and did you agree to the work to be done? Did they say that the new pump would fix the issue?

I'd ask them to bear the cost of the 2nd pump owing to the fact that you now have to have a very expensive steering rack.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
not really sure on this one macten,,doesnt sound fair you pay for yet another pump that explodes immediately,,,dont mechanics have a way of checking what the initial problem is before they fit expensive parts?

J

jimbob

what did your note say? That your pump had gone and to fit a new one, or just for them to investigate the cause and fix it??

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
They rang this morning to say the pump had detonated (which I knew) and that a new pump was the only fix. If it is the steering rack then I would expect the bill to be for the steering rack , pump and labour. Seems unfair to be charged the £260 for todays work as all it has done is serve as diagnostics.

Last edited:

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
what did your note say? That your pump had gone and to fit a new one, or just for them to investigate the cause and fix it??

Note just explained power steering fluid was leaking please ring ........

D

Deleted member 9966

and when they rang to say it needed a new pump, did you say, go ahead?

J

jimbob

Sounds like its up to them then - they're the mechanical experts and its up to them to sort the problem. You shouldn't be held liable for their botches while they do it.

Whether they will agree is another matter....

M

mikethetile

you will only need to pay for replacement of 1 pump, the fact that they missdiagnosed the symptom as the problem is their fault not yours

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
That's what I'm hoping Mike. If I change a faulty pump in a customers airing cupboard and it fails because of a dodgy port valve there's no way I would think of charging them, I'd have to swallow it.

Yes Liz I told them to go ahead as they said a new pump was the only way to fix it.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Come to think of it they had to replace the track rod ends a few months ago for its MOT.
I know worn TRE's can damage the steering rack.

T

Time's Ran Out

I've used the same garage for over 37years now (different vehicles) because I know if I'am going to get stung at least they will look after me untill I've paid!:lol:

Reply to Van off the road in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks