Search the forum,

Discuss ***ufh testing*** in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Uheat

Hi All,

Just wanted to put a quick post on here about testing underfloor heating.

Each Cable or Mat should have its own resistance reading and this will depend on the length of the cable. The shorter the cable the higher the resistance, the longer the cable the lower the resistance. I have attached the required resistance readings for each of the systems the WE do Broken Link Removed. Please be aware these figures will be different for other ufh supplies so please check with them on their products.

We would strongly recommend that all ufh systems are checked properly for resistance (Ohms). There are really 2 ways of doing this and the 2nd is a far easier way for you guys fitting on a regular basis.

Option 1

is to use a multimeter
Shop Online - Electric Underfloor Heating - Accessories - uHeat - http://www.uheat.co.uk/underfloor_heating_accessories.htm and test the system at regular intervals throughout the installation of ufh. I would suggest 1st, upon arrival at site (ensure no damage in transit). 2nd, once cable/mat been laid out. Then several times while tiling over top of cables to ensure no damage has occured while tiling. I would suggest every m2 or so. You will then be able to eliminate and find damage quicker. The last time will be once job is complete. The Part P electrician will do all the final checks using fully calibrated equiptment.

Option 2

Check system using the multimeter once arrived at site, to ensure resistance is correct and no damage in transit. Once this is complete then you can use a Cable Monitor Broken Link Removed

Simply connect the monitor to your underfloor heating cable or mat before you start installation, for the 1st 10 seconds the software within the monitor will measure the resistance of the heating and then for the remaining time if the resistance alters by more by than 15% the monitor will sound an audible alarm and the LED will flash RED
Accidents do happen doing installation and in the event of the heating element being cut or damaged the PCM2000 will go in to alarm and the heating can be repaired before the installation is taken any further.

The monitor is only 70mm x 65mm x 20mm so it is small enough to be rested in a standard single back box while the heating is being installed. The monitor requires 3No. 'AA' batteries and the monitor being efficient these will last more than 30 days in continuous operation with no faults being detected.

This simple device will make your installation go much easier and give you 'peace of mind' that the system will work when the elctrician comes to connect to the power supply.

Above all if you are unsure please contact me and i will be happy to help.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

As a matter of interest, if a fault was detected half way through an installation, how is a repair carried out ?

G

Gazzer

For the more simple of us :oops: Which cable on the monitor goes to which cable on the heating ?

U

Uheat

For the more simple of us :oops: Which cable on the monitor goes to which cable on the heating ?

Hi ya,

The earth (green) is the only one that needs to be connected to the earth on the Cable. The other cables do not matter which way round as there is no polarity on the heating elements. hope this helps

F

faithhealer

Just invested in one of these installation monitors from Aaron. One phone call, there next day. Thanks Aaron

U

Uheat

Hi guys,

I have just been speaking with pjrich and he has come up with a great deal for you all.

1. Multimeter Underfloor Heating | Installation Accessories | Uheat £15 Inc Vat and Delivery.

2. Multimeter and Installation monitor Underfloor Heating | Installation | Uheat £40 Inc Vat & Delivery

I am sure you will agree that this is a fantastic price for 2 important pieces of kit. If you are interested then please give me a call.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

faithhealer

Good deal boys, as said on other thread, needed mine today.
Rest of the job was a bit of a 'mare' though. Dug through, marble tiles, SLC, 18 ply, and one inch floorboards!

Reply to ***ufh testing*** in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen