Search the forum,

Discuss Tile onto Plasterboard or Skim Coat? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

TheRealRobG

I've refinished the wall of my utility room as shown below, with an Aquapanel boxwork section to waist height which will house the pipework for the basin.

The rest of the way to the ceiling is plasterboard.

There's a small section (220mm high) of plasterboard which will be tiled above the aquapanel - the section hatched in the sketch.

My question is - given that I plan to have the bare plasterboard skimmed by a plasterer before I begin tiling - should I have him plaster right down to the top of the boxwork (and tile onto his skim coat), or should I have him stop short so that I can tile onto the bare plasterboard?

I was thinking of screwing some battens along the wall at the top of the tile section which he could skim down to.

plasterboard01.jpg

Any suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks!

T

TheRealRobG

The tiles on the plasterboard will be 9mm thick 300mm square ceramic wall/floor tiles (cut in half horizontally, so only 150mm high) and topped with a 50mm row of 2-high 1 inch square mosaics to finish.

Planning to put them up with Bal single part flexible (white).

D

DHTiling

Ok, i would skim it first..:)..make sure you prime with acrylic primer before tiling.

T

TheRealRobG

Thanks for the tip - that makes it a lot easier for both of us!

:)

I'm going to prime everything - floor, Aquapanel and plaster with Bal Prime APD before tiling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Tile onto Plasterboard or Skim Coat? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen