Search the forum,

Discuss Things gone wrong.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

nickj

Just curious to know the problems people have caused themselves through bad luck or mistakes! I'll start.
Ripped out a bathroom, full refit including doing all the pipework and installing a rad. Did all pipework 10 days before, tested the system and no problems. Then spent another week dabbing plasterboard onto the walls, fitting the suite and then tiling the walls with no problems.
Layed the floor and that night a fitting on the rad went under the floor i had just laid, ****ing water through the kitchen ceiling, the whole floor had to come up, ceiling repaired etc :cry:
I was lucky the customer knew i had tested everything and accepted it as bad luck. I fixed everything and even ended up with a refferal :20:

F

faithhealer

to many to mention probably. i too had water coming through a ceiling a few months ago. got the call late at night, pierced the ceiling to let the water out, then it stopped dripping after a while. Next day took some of my nice marble tiles up, cut through the ply and floor boards, (luckerly the ufh didn't go to the wall) Torch and mirror showed all my pipes were bone dry!! I think another tradesman had caught the pipes for the (yet to be fitted) basin, flooded the place, then tightened the comp elbow back up and said nowt (the said pipes were covered by panelling) Guess who had to pay for the ceiling! guess who isn't working for them anymore!!

D

david campbell

someone on this forum uses the tag
"experience is the name we give to our mistakes"
so very true:thumbsup:

O

Olz

I had a bit of a scare last week with an UFH system I laid, the gradualy warming up phase had come and gone, the customer had kept turning until the system was supposedly at full temp and could feel nothing, I was contemplating having to rip the whole thing out but puzzled as i'd tested it at every stage no probs, I'd left it awaiting the sparky wiring it it.

Anyhow, no error codes or anything on the stat, but whilst going over the setup of it again double checking I found that the customer had set the max temp limit to 20 degrees, with Devi when you use a floor only stat it changes the readout on screen from the temperature to a scale of 1 - 10, 1 being coldest 10 being whatever you've set the max temp to.

Theyd been turning it upto 10, then waiting for the screen to say it had hit the temp and wondering why nothing could be felt.

Anyhow adjusted the max temp and got it working fine, big relief.

Reply to Things gone wrong.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen