Search the forum,

Discuss starting out in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Geordie R

Hi hope you can help.
Everywhere i turn seems to say something different so would appreciate anyones help even if it is bad news for me. i am in my mid 20's and have decided i would like to start up as a full time tiler. i am currently just doing an office job and got the idea by originally helping my mate with a few guvy jobs and picked it up. I am not brilliant but actually discovered this is what i would like to do. Can anyone help me and tell me how i could get into this for real and be fully qualified or am i too old to start learning a trade now for real? As far as these crash courses are concerned will people employ you off the back of that, if so why do some people leave school and do 3 years at college etc if you could do it in 8 weeks?
I am prepared to do this the long correct way rather than the short easy way if anyone could point me in the right direction.
cheers
Geordie R

R

Ramag

My answer would be to ask your friend if you can do more work together with him, if he is an established tiler. If you are in a steady office job it may pay to stay there while you are learning the basics of tiling with your friend.
The 8 week courses give you an insight and a very good basic knowledge to the tiling trade, so they are worth while ( many are listed in the forums) I personally would not employ a person as a tiler after such a short course as their is no substitute for experience.
If you said that you had worked 6 months or so part-time and had a course under your belt, and wanted to learn more, I would take a second look at you and offer you a trail period, as you would have shown to me that you want to be in this trade.
All to often we see people of all ages take a short course and think they can go self-employed and make millions. The fact is TV is full of these cowboy shows.
Good luck and hope you find the job satisfaction you are looking for.

G

Geordie R

Cheers Ramag

Good info. So i can get into it by doing it part time and going on a course so combining the two together to show the dedication is equally a good thing. If i get to do any jobs around the doors when i am more confident and stuff should that stand me in good stead for emplyment in time. I know its not a fast track and i am serious about it.

cheers again

R

D

david campbell

check this out to give you an idea what is available on certain courses-http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-courses/

your never to old to change career,if it's what you really want to do and are determined to succeed then i'm sure you will get there,but as above why not keep your office job at the moment until you fully understand enough to go on your own! it can be hard at times especially if there isn't enough work coming in to give you a steady wage

F

faithhealer

All to often we see people of all ages take a short course and think they can go self-employed and make millions. The fact is TV is full of these cowboy shows.
quote]
Just a pointer, these cowboy shows are usually old pros and all the forums tiling course sponsors teach the correct way to tile. We know its all about experience but thats where the forum helps, yes?

Reply to starting out in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen