Currently reading:
schoolboy error/ thermostat cable

Discuss schoolboy error/ thermostat cable in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

grumpygrouter

he phoned today! (via voicemail) he's put a cheque in the post for half the bill, but witholding a final payment till he's satisfied with the heat up of the tiles. What he's proposing tho' sounds like twisted logic to me. He wants me to move the sensor closer to the heat mat! I'd like to find the PEI rating of the floor tiles tho' as they were very dense porc and therefore the heat transference would be better achieved if the mat was to run for longer before the sensor probe cut out the heat input:dizzy2: Or have I got it wrong?:mad2:
I may be wrong here, but my logic tells me the tiles should transfer the heat quicker if the tiles are more dense as there is less "air" in the material to insulate??

pjrich

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Ipswich
he phoned today! (via voicemail) he's put a cheque in the post for half the bill, but witholding a final payment till he's satisfied with the heat up of the tiles. What he's proposing tho' sounds like twisted logic to me. He wants me to move the sensor closer to the heat mat! I'd like to find the PEI rating of the floor tiles tho' as they were very dense porc and therefore the heat transference would be better achieved if the mat was to run for longer before the sensor probe cut out the heat input:dizzy2: Or have I got it wrong?:mad2:

Moving the sensor is a VERY bad idea, system will cut out before tiles reach desired temp. It will provide a false reading to the thermostat.

Floor sensors must always be equal distance between 2 heating cables regardless of the thickness of the covering. For example, we install cables in screeds up to 150mm in depth and the sensor is always in the middle of 2 runs of cable.

If the thermostat is made by OJ Electronics, you can interogate it to find our the floor temp the sensor is reading and also how long the system has been on in the past. This info is useful to establish if the client is actually leaving the system on long enough to reach the desired temp.

In these circumstances where the heating has been installed correctly, the normal reason for the system not working correctly is operator error!!! (someone pressing buttons constantly) Believe me we see this problem all the time.

Best way to prove to the client that the floor is warming up is to switch the stat to manual, turn temp up to something like 30 and leave it on for 2 days. Once this proves heating is working, setup up required times and temps the client needs but make sure that the setback temp is not too low. For example if the client wants 22deg, make sure the setback is 16. That way the temp does not rise and fall too much.

Hope this helps, if you or your client wish for further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Warm Regards,

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Just bumping some threads in the underfloor heating forum. You can now find and search for both electric underfloor heating and water underfloor heating threads. By the way, if you feel some of the threads you want to be seen at the top of the forum need to be bumped back, for the next month or so from now, feel free to do that. Although it's not usually something we allow, whilst we're going through this process of changing over forum software, we see the need for this to happen.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Just bumping some threads in the underfloor heating forum. You can now find and search for both electric underfloor heating and water underfloor heating threads. By the way, if you feel some of the threads you want to be seen at the top of the forum need to be bumped back, for the next month or so from now, feel free to do that. Although it's not usually something we allow, whilst we're going through this process of changing over forum software, we see the need for this to happen.

Reply to schoolboy error/ thermostat cable in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.